PC audio problem
Aug 22, 2009 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Homeless

Headphoneus Supremus
Quick question here, hopefully someone can help...

Anyway, I just bought a wireless N router and PCI N card for my PC. The slot it went into was kind of tight in the case against the wire for the optical input on the back of my PC. The wire on the inside is actually draped over the card. Now I am getting hiccups in my music. Would the PCI N card cause interference with the optical cable?

What could be some other reasons for the skipping?

Thanks!

Aug 22, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #2 of 8
EM radiation can't cause interference with light if I'm reading your question correctly. It's more likely the result of an IRQ conflict- try the card in other PCI slots until the problem is resolved.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 8
I've had hiccuping audio when I was using a Draft-N wireless adapter and all the usual fixes (i.e. changing IRQ ports, using different drivers for both the sound card and wireless adapter) didn't fix it. I ended up replacing the sound card completely and that fixed it.

A way to test if you're having similar problems is to disable to wireless adapter and see if your audio suddenly cleans itself up. A further way to verify the problem is to start playing a track and listen as you 'refresh' the list of available wireless networks. You should cause a hiccup every time you refresh.

Apparently, this is caused by Windows' implementation of wireless devices - in order to keep the adapter connected to the fastest network, Windows periodically 'flashes' the device to refresh the list. This flashing of the device apparently causes a momentary CPU usage surge, which causes the hiccups in the audio.

Anyway, hope some of this helps - I battled this problem for over a year.

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had hiccuping audio when I was using a Draft-N wireless adapter and all the usual fixes (i.e. changing IRQ ports, using different drivers for both the sound card and wireless adapter) didn't fix it. I ended up replacing the sound card completely and that fixed it.

A way to test if you're having similar problems is to disable to wireless adapter and see if your audio suddenly cleans itself up. A further way to verify the problem is to start playing a track and listen as you 'refresh' the list of available wireless networks. You should cause a hiccup every time you refresh.

Apparently, this is caused by Windows' implementation of wireless devices - in order to keep the adapter connected to the fastest network, Windows periodically 'flashes' the device to refresh the list. This flashing of the device apparently causes a momentary CPU usage surge, which causes the hiccups in the audio.

Anyway, hope some of this helps - I battled this problem for over a year.

Thank you, this was very helpful and turned out to be exactly my problem. How did replacing the sound card fix it? Would the same thing not happen on a new card? I really don't want to replace it mine, but I think I would if that was the only option. I will try to investigate further but does anyone else have any experience with this that might be helpful to me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back