PC Audio Interference
May 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

AllahLover69

New Head-Fier
Hey I just bought a PC from my friend, which he built. Audio-wise it seems pretty damn limiting; I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's with a Schiit Asgaro for an amp (No DAC yet, but it's on my wish-list), and pretty much there is always a base level of static interference in the background (whether or not I'm playing music), and it's definitely not my RCA-Aux cable or anything like that because the amp works perfectly well when plugged into my phone. It also is likely not the audio jack itself, as I've tried the one on the front and the back of the case and they're both generally the same level of static. Moreover, the static is definitely correlated to computer use (Don't know whether it's processor power or what), as when I'm gaming, the static grows quite louder, and also, annoyingly enough, the static fluctuates with the levels of mouse and keyboard input, such that if I'm moving my mouse quickly or typing quickly, the static will increase. Essentially, all of this practically defeats the purpose of my amp, as I am just amplifying static, but when I increase volume via the computer itself, the static seems unchanged.

I do not have a sound card, so pretty much, I'm wondering if this is related to the motherboard and it's lack of audio support, or if the problem is less hard-to-rectify than that. My buddy who sold me the computer said the motherboard is "The Gigabyte a88x or something" (sorry if that information is useless). If it helps, I doubt it's the most expensive motherboard, as I bought the PC from him for $300 (though this was a good deal). Does it sound like this problem would be fixed with a sound card? If so, what should I get in the less-expensive range, that would bring out the potential in my current setup?

Thanks so much!

May 1, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 11
It sounds to me like your motherboard's audio was poorly designed and is not isolated well enough from the noise of the other components. A sound card, audio interface, or DAC should fix it.

Did you have something in mind for your wish-list DAC? If it's an option to get the DAC now, you might as well do that rather than get a sound card which may not be necessary with the DAC.

May 1, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 11
if it were me i would look out for a used ifi micro idsd.
has ipurifier built in and worth its weight in gold. powerful amp too.

May 1, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for responding, man. So what's a decent DAC in the $50 - $100 range? Would the Modi 2 be my best bet or is there something cheaper I could look for that'll get the job done almost as well? 

May 1, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 11
IMO, a modi 2 with a cheap self powered USB  hub would do the job too. Or you can also get the Wyrd (fancy self powered USB port) + Modi 2 if you can stretch it to $200. The point of the USB hub is to detach the USB power supply from the motherboard and feed the USB DAC with a cleaner external power which eliminates any noise from the motherboard.

May 1, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 11
  Hey I just bought a PC from my friend, which he built. Audio-wise it seems pretty damn limiting; I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's with a Schiit Asgaro for an amp (No DAC yet, but it's on my wish-list), and pretty much there is always a base level of static interference in the background (whether or not I'm playing music), and it's definitely not my RCA-Aux cable or anything like that because the amp works perfectly well when plugged into my phone. It also is likely not the audio jack itself, as I've tried the one on the front and the back of the case and they're both generally the same level of static. Moreover, the static is definitely correlated to computer use (Don't know whether it's processor power or what), as when I'm gaming, the static grows quite louder, and also, annoyingly enough, the static fluctuates with the levels of mouse and keyboard input, such that if I'm moving my mouse quickly or typing quickly, the static will increase. Essentially, all of this practically defeats the purpose of my amp, as I am just amplifying static, but when I increase volume via the computer itself, the static seems unchanged.

I do not have a sound card, so pretty much, I'm wondering if this is related to the motherboard and it's lack of audio support, or if the problem is less hard-to-rectify than that. My buddy who sold me the computer said the motherboard is "The Gigabyte a88x or something" (sorry if that information is useless). If it helps, I doubt it's the most expensive motherboard, as I bought the PC from him for $300 (though this was a good deal). Does it sound like this problem would be fixed with a sound card? If so, what should I get in the less-expensive range, that would bring out the potential in my current setup?

Thanks so much!

An external DAC should clear up the static issue.

May 1, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 11
  Thanks for responding, man. So what's a decent DAC in the $50 - $100 range? Would the Modi 2 be my best bet or is there something cheaper I could look for that'll get the job done almost as well? 

Several used Schiit Modi DACs for sale on eBay.

If you really wanted to save money, get an ELE EL-D01 USB DAC, they sell for under $20 on eBay.

Here is a USB DAC that comes with the CS4398 DAC chip :)
Only $44.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272219313743?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

May 1, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #8 of 11
Try and get a DAC with an optical SPDIF connection.  Motherboard optical to DAC.  That will provide the best galvanic isolation and eliminate the most noise.  I have an ASUS motherboard and the noise is unbearable if it can ground to any other component.

May 2, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #9 of 11
I actually ended up buying a Sound Blaster Z (lowest with no bells and whistles) to push my AKG K7xx for gaming and I primarily play CSGO. I've been on my current setup for a little over a month with no static issues and an increase in in-game performance / accurate callouts for teammates based on footsteps. I recently plugged my AKGs into the low-end speaker amp on my photography computer (motherboard sound) and they sounded like poo so I'm in the market for a Modi2 Uber at the moment. Which games are you playing?

May 2, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 11
I actually ended up buying a Sound Blaster Z (lowest with no bells and whistles) to push my AKG K7xx for gaming and I primarily play CSGO. I've been on my current setup for a little over a month with no static issues and an increase in in-game performance / accurate callouts for teammates based on footsteps. I recently plugged my AKGs into the low-end speaker amp on my photography computer (motherboard sound) and they sounded like poo so I'm in the market for a Modi2 Uber at the moment. Which games are you playing?

Just started playing CS GO and plan on getting rocket league. I'll definitely check out the sound blaster.

May 2, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #11 of 11
I got mine for 80 on Amazon but it shot up to 100 shortly after, there are probably cheaper options available that you can research right here on head-fi. Quick tip on CSGO, your sensitivity is probably too high. GLHF! :]
The version with the volume control knob is no-good, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back