PC as SACD Player? (n00b question)
Jun 11, 2004 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

tradja

100+ Head-Fier
Sorry for the basic question, but here goes...

Can a SACD be played in a stock PC CD or DVD drive? Or should I just go ahead and get something like the Toshiba SD-3950?

Thanks!

Jun 11, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja

Can a SACD be played in a stock PC CD or DVD drive? Or should I just go ahead and get something like the Toshiba SD-3950?

Thanks!

Hey Tradja..

It never hurts to ask.. and on head-fi we don't look down on n00bs like some condescending jerks on other forums..

Anyways, SACDs cannot be played back (in true SACD format resolution) on stock PC CD and DVD drives.. in fact I don't think there are any PC SACD capable drives (if there were any affordable models, I would jump on them !!). But if the SACD is a hybrid that has a redbook (head-fi term for normal audio CD format) layer in addition to the hi-resolution SACD layer, the normal CD/DVD drives should play them just fine.. but you won't get the true SACD sound.

Jun 13, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja

Thanks!

if you're looking for an sacd player, the toshiba sd 3950 is not the one. it only plays redbook and dvds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back