PC -> Apogee Mini Dac - Do i REALLY need USB?
Oct 26, 2005 at 1:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

rOAdeh

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

been researching DACs for a long time and finally have got the funds available to start looking into purchasing one
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm pretty much set on the Apogee MiniDac which i plan to connect to both my PC and my CDP via optical and coax respectively.

I plan to buy an AV710 or HDA Digital X-Mystique 7.1 Gold PCI Dolby Soundcard (for future surround sound DD encoding) and then output that to the DAC.

Right now I'm in a dilemma in that a new MiniDac with USB costs approx £850 here, whereas, I can buy a perfect condition second hand one without USB for £450. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere that is selling a 2nd hand version with USB. £400 is a lot of money to me, and I'm really struggling to see whether it would be worth that much of a premium to gain the USB benefits.

I am unlikely to use a laptop or anything in the near future that would mean i wouldn't have an optical out to get a bit perfect stream from so the only advantage to USB i can see is for future firmware downloads? Am I missing anything - is it worth getting the USB version?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Oct 26, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #2 of 7
I've got the USB version and really appreciate the ability to quickly and easily attach to my office PC and my home PC. That said, if you've already got optical/coax digital outs there's no particular reason to spend the extra money. Also, the USB card can be added in later by the user so if I was in your situation I'd buy the second hand miniDAC and buy the USB later if I decided I needed/wanted it.

The miniDAC is wonderful, BTW
biggrin.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 2:13 PM Post #3 of 7
I'd echo Bill's comments... get the 2nd hand unit.
See if you need the USB.
If so, add it later.

Also, the *LONG OVERDUE* FireWire add-in card for the Mini-DAC is *supposed* to be available in the next 6 months, or so the rumour goes. Just don't hold your breath, but FYI, it should/might be coming.

Oct 28, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 7
Hi guys,

thanks for the responses - typically the DAC went a few minutes before i managed to buy it but i'm not in any rush so i'll just keep my eye out on the 2nd hand market.

Didn't realise you could buy the USB card as an add-on.. is that something an end user can do (i'm a competent pc builder so can handle most things but wouldn't want to force my dodgy soldering onto something that expensive!).

$195 seems quite a lot for it but i suppose they don't want everyone buying the non usb version and then adding in the daughter board on the cheap

Oct 28, 2005 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 7
I can't find it right now but there are directions for installing the USB card on the web. I was considering buying the non-USB version and wanted to see how hard it was to add-in later. It's just a mezzanine card that plugs onto the system board. As long as you're not scared of a screwdriver no problems at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back