PC and PS4 audio through HD 558
Oct 9, 2014 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Alkajak

New Head-Fier
I have a Dell ultrasharp monitor and a standard Asus monitor. I use the Dell for my PC and PS4, and the Asus just for the PC. Bought a pair of HD 558s a few days ago and they are unreal.

What is the most simple and optimal setup for outputting PS4 audio and computer audio through the same headphones without losing any quality?

Oct 9, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 6
  I have a Dell ultrasharp monitor and a standard Asus monitor. I use the Dell for my PC and PS4, and the Asus just for the PC. Bought a pair of HD 558s a few days ago and they are unreal.

What is the most simple and optimal setup for outputting PS4 audio and computer audio through the same headphones without losing any quality?

For getting headphone surround sound from a gaming console, get an Astro Mix-amp.
for the PC get an Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 6

For getting headphone surround sound from a gaming console, get an Astro Mix-amp.
for the PC get an Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card.

Which one of those have a built-in amp? I was looking at the SBZ, better to go with ASUS?

Side note: I'm getting the Maximus VII Hero very soon, and I read that the onboard sound on that motherboard is equivalent to the DGX.

From the website:
Sonic SenseAmp – Amp up your headset!
Sonic SenseAmp is a ROG invention that detects headphone impedance (below 65 / 65 ~ 150 / 150 or higher ohms) and adjusts the built-in amp automatically, for pitch-perfect listening right away!

With that said, would this motherboard have the correct outputs as a DGX?

Edit #2: Astro MixAmp Pros are kinda hard to find in Canada, is there something comparable? Really don't want to pay 40 dollars for shipping to Canada on the Astro website.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 6
  Which one of those have a built-in amp? I was looking at the SBZ, better to go with ASUS?
Side note: I'm getting the Maximus VII Hero very soon, and I read that the on-board sound on that motherboard is equivalent to the DGX.
From the website:
Sonic SenseAmp – Amp up your headset!
Sonic SenseAmp is a ROG invention that detects headphone impedance (below 65 / 65 ~ 150 / 150 or higher ohms) and adjusts the built-in amp automatically, for pitch-perfect listening right away!
With that said, would this motherboard have the correct outputs as a DGX?

Both Xonar and Astro have built in headphone amplifiers.
If your willing to spend the extra for the $85 SB-Z over the $30 DGX, then go ahead and get the SB-Z.
Can't figure out the exact Realtek audio chip set the Maximus VII Hero is using, but I'm sure it's just as good as the DGX (maybe better?).

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #5 of 6

Both Xonar and Astro have built in headphone amplifiers.
If your willing to spend the extra for the $85 SB-Z over the $30 DGX, then go ahead and get the SB-Z.
Can't figure out the exact Realtek audio chip set the Maximus VII Hero is using, but I'm sure it's just as good as the DGX (maybe better?).

Astro MixAmp Pros are kinda hard to find in Canada, is there something comparable? Really don't want to pay 40 dollars for shipping to Canada on the Astro website.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 6

Astro MixAmp Pros are kinda hard to find in Canada, is there something comparable? Really don't want to pay 40 dollars for shipping to Canada on the Astro website.

An Astro Mix-amp or a Yamaha A/V receiver are the only two way I know of for getting headphone surround sound from a gaming console.
I'm guessing there might be other ways.

Maybe try and getting a used Astro off eBay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back