PayPal Protection Question
Jul 12, 2007 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

EhJayKim

100+ Head-Fier
So, I was looking online and I saw this giftcard to J.Crew. The seller has no feedback and he just opened his account the other day and the picture of the card he is using is from the J.Crew website.

I know it is risky to bid on the item when he has zero feedback so I was wondering how much protection I would get from PayPal. In their rules, it says up to $200 in buyer protection... would I really be able to be reimbursed if either:

a) the card never showed up

or

b) the card didn't have $260 on it?

I know the deal seems to good to be true...and that it's probably a bad idea, but at the same time I really want it. I think that me wanting it is clouding my judgement so I was wondering if you guys thought it would be a bad idea to bid or if it was worth the risk.

Thanks.
A

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 9
On general principal I would NEVER bid on an item from someone who just joined EBay, has less than twenty positive feedbacks in the last two years. It is just not worth the risk. This smells of scam. Keep looking, there will be another good deal come along any minute. Good luck.

As for the PayPal protection, check the many posts/complaints posted throughout HFi.....not what you may assume.

Jul 12, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 9
I'd say don't risk it too.

Note that the seller did not specified how much actually is on that card.
"VALUE" is a vague word. Value $260 does not always mean actual $260.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:05 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On general principal I would NEVER bid on an item from someone who just joined EBay, has less than twenty positive feedbacks in the last two years.

well i'm not speaking for the seller or for this particular situation. i just making a general statement. EVERYONE has to start from somewhere, in the case of online selling, 0 feedback.

Jul 12, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 9
from a Paypal protection standpoint the Ebay seller has to have at least 50 feedback with 98% positive, so no you are not covered and i wouldnt risk it.

good way to get positive feedback from 0 is start buying.

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #6 of 9
I thought the 50 feedback/98% was only for over 200 dollars. If I paid under 200, wouldn't it still be covered?

Found the rules:
13.9 eBay Items Eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection. Every item on eBay (except Live Auctions and vehicles) that meets the above requirements is eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection up to $200.00 USD (Basic Tier Coverage Amount), but items are only eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection up to $2,000.00 USD (Top Tier Coverage Amount) and should be identified as eligible items in the eBay listing if:

1. seller's eBay feedback rating is at least 50;
2. At least 98% of the seller's eBay feedback is positive;
3. The seller has a Verified Premier or Verified Business Account in good standing;
4. The listing was on an eligible eBay site (eBay.com and certain other eBay sites self identified as such)
5. PayPal is listed as an acceptable payment method; and
6. The seller is a PayPal User from one of the following countries:

I don't know. I probably just shouldn't bid on it. If I was talking to someone, I would tell them not to bid...

-A

Jul 12, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 9
ohh cool i think that $200 basic tier system a fairly new policy, thanks for the info. i read all the rules about a year ago and there were major grey areas. wow the basic tier coverage also applies even if the seller isnt a verified paypal member.

edit: i just read though that 13.x section and they also are providing coverage for FULL AMOUNT on online transactions outside of Ebay that never arrive, as long as they were bought using the Paypal Credit Card, thats awesome and is reason enough to get one. these changes seem to have taken effect on June 6, 2007

Jul 12, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i'm not speaking for the seller or for this particular situation. i just making a general statement. EVERYONE has to start from somewhere, in the case of online selling, 0 feedback.

I agree. I was just stating that my rules are not to deal with a seller based upon ..... Nothing against any one seller first starting out, I have been there myself. I just recommended that the op let someone else be the tester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back