Paypal Account Question!
Nov 10, 2006 at 7:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

nichifanlema

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, when people sell audio equipment, many of them asks for 3% paypal fee...

I always get confused...

Does this apply only for the accounts based on Credit Card (Seller or Buyer?)

For example...

Seller asks for $100 + 3% paypal.

Which of the following buyers need to pay for 3% fee?

Buyers with Non-Credit Card account
Buyers with Credit Card account
Buyers with Checking account (draws money from Bank account)

And, is there such a thing as Checking Account for Paypal? If it does exist, does it get classified as non-CC account?

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 10
Hmm..but it seems the sellers usually don't mention the 3% paypal fee if the buyer pays with non-cc account...don't they?

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #4 of 10
here's the skinny on Paypal fees:

picture1cv7.png

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #5 of 10
The 3% fee kicks in if the seller has upgraded to the premier or business account. Take a look at the summary of the paypal fee structure.

If the seller's account is a premier/business account, then it does not matter what kind of account the buyer has or how the buyer chooses to pay. The seller will incur the 3% paypal fee. The biggest distinction between the free account and premier account is the ability to accept credit card payment. And for this privilege, the premier account incurs a 3% for most transactions.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Just a moment off the block but...

I think it is BS when the seller asks for an additional 3% on the selling price, like it is the buyers fault you want to use PayPal. Instead of adding 3% to the final price just add 10 bucks to the item price before you even sell it.
rolleyes.gif
It makes you look cheap, and FU the 3% ain't my problem... It's just a bad way to do business

cool.gif

OK better

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arainach
It's interesting to note that asking the buyer to pay that 3% is in direct contradiction to the PayPal Terms of Service and if reported could result in the termination of that seller's account.

Yes, this is true, but if one doesn't like the terms of business, then he should look somewhere else.

A good solutions is splitting fees something many people here tend to do.

Also Another solution is to have two paypal accounts, on premier and one personal. That way you only need to pay fees if the buyer needs to pay with paypal.

Nov 10, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc
Just a moment off the block but...

I think it is BS when the seller asks for an additional 3% on the selling price, like it is the buyers fault you want to use PayPal. Instead of adding 3% to the final price just add 10 bucks to the item price before you even sell it.
rolleyes.gif
It makes you look cheap, and FU the 3% ain't my problem... It's just a bad way to do business

cool.gif

OK better

Then don't buy from them. As for being "cheap", you're the one whose whining and and going "FU" about 3%. So very funny.

Not all sellers *only* accept paypal, but it's usually agreed it would be the quickest way for both buyer and seller. Including the fee into the original amt would screw those who want to use an alternative form of payment, unless it's a paypal only-type sale.

Also 3% is quite little, unless the product/service is in the hundreds. Most split the fee or wave it anyways, no biggie.

Quote:

It's like stores adding x% extra for accepting credit cards.

I read that stores charge the extra % on top of the already altered price, kinda sucks for credit card users.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back