"Paying it Forward"
May 26, 2011 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wje

Unmodified = Not worth listening to.
There are certain times in my life where I like doing good deeds for people.  Usually, these types of events come and go - you help someone out and then a few weeks later, a similar opportunity arrives.

I have a co-worker at my current location who is recently divorced.  She also went through a mess with her Dodge van where the transmission went out and had to be replaced.  Additionally, a few days later, her cooling system was nearly out of fluid, so she had Jiffy Lube handle a flush and fill.  I know she has her struggles financially - raising her son alone, etc.  Anyway, her van during the early part of this week started to really flake out electrically.  She lost her gauges - no speedometer, fuel level, etc.  I could see and hear the frustration that she was facing.  Also, I think the stress of going to a mechanic and paying $90 for a diagnostic "fee" + the work didn't make her any happier.  I looked at her van and saw the corrosion on the battery cables.  I recommended that she apply a solution of baking soda and water to get rid of the visible corrosion.

She came in this morning and indicated that things were starting to work again, but the gauges would go out when she used her turn signals.  I had done some research on the Internet and had my tools along today.  At noon, we went outside and removed the battery cables and gave them a thorough cleaning with sandpaper.  All of the contacts were nice and bright.  Everything was put back together and I told her to take a "test spin" around the lot a few times.  Bingo!  All systems were a Go!

Where am I going with this?  I guess I'm trying to encourage people to help others as they see situations like this, because it really can benefit people who may not make the same income as you.  When I travel into the city, there are plenty of people that have their cups out - but appear capable of working.  I rarely feel sorry for those people.  It's those that are out in life trying to do their best and issues like dirty battery cables get in the way.

Be kind, be well and be safe!

Enjoy!

May 27, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 5
Good job and bravo for your attitude. Too many are willing to look the other way so as not to get involved. Kindness is a foreign language for them because they are only for themselves.

May 27, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Nice going...I also believe in karma and besides we are all in this thing together and sometimes we need a little help. When it comes out of nowhere it instills a little bit of belief in the human race...and not all people are selfish! I recently won a Sflo2 in the Christnas giveaway so I did a little pay it forward by giving away a 4gig Sony player and set of Zune premium earbuds to a new member...hope it helps them in their new hobby.

May 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey wje. my car is making noises, could you take a look?  
biggrin.gif

May 29, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Hey wje. my car is making noises, could you take a look?  
biggrin.gif

I'd love to, James.  Does it have an OBDC-II connector under the dash so I can connect my code reader?  I just replaced my front half-shaft / CV axle on my Mazda last weekend.  The air tools made the work of taking things apart quite useful.  Out of 31 years of working on cars, I've always used pry bars, iron pipes on ratchet handles, etc. to get rusted on nuts off.  Fortunately, the creation of PB Blaster (to dissolved the rust) and air tools are making my life easier - and I'm not quite killing my knuckles anymore when I do work on the car.

When I finish a job working on our own vehicles, I let my wife know how much in labor I've saved - as well as the parts, because they were not marked up 3x by the shop.  However, she doesn't say "Great, you've saved us $400 - now, go spend it and enjoy yourself."  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back