Paying it forward: Cmoy Giveaway!
Oct 24, 2006 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

NotJeffBuckley

1000+ Head-Fier
After the great generosity shown by user The Monkey in his Cmoy giveaway, I promised to have one of my own. Circumstances have prevented me from being able to make my own CMoy using his design so far, but I've examined it thoroughly and I feel confident that my newly gained understanding of the practicalities of how it is put together will allow me to build one without too much trouble in the future.

So, I'm sending the very same Cmoy off in the mail to the individual with the best reason to receive it. I'd prefer to send it to someone who wants to build one and doesn't know how as a hands-on visual aid, but if you feel like it ought to be yours for a different reason, please don't hesitate to send me a PM with the topic "Cmoy Giveaway" and the reason you want it.

As The Monkey said, it is a standard Cmoy without many extra features, but it certainly works as intended (it drives my HD 650), and it has a large power section for demanding dynamics. It also has a nifty power-on/volume potentiometer, removing the need for a seperate on/off switch, and a low profile green operation LED.

If I can't decide, I'll put the people with the best reason/PM in a hat and draw for the winner.

I'll stop taking PMs and declare the recipient tomorrow evening.

Oct 24, 2006 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 17
Bumping to clarify:

I would greatly prefer U.S. only, due to shipping hassles outside of the U.S., but if the need is (determined by me to be) absolute I can try to ship overseas using whatever option is the cheapest. Don't be afraid to PM if you are overseas, just know that it's less likely thanks to the problems that arise with international shipment.

I would appreciate it if everyone who PMs me replies to this thread to keep it active.

I will not be responding to PMs individually, because I only have the one Cmoy and I don't want anyone's feelings to be hurt if they don't win - if I had 100,000 of them and $1,000,000 for shipping I'd overnight one to everybody, but I'm a broke college student with one Cmoy to give to someone not only needy but also lucky
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 24, 2006 at 11:54 AM Post #3 of 17
I sent in my entry, I'm not sure if I meet your conditions but hopefully it doesn't hurt to try.

Good luck to everyone with their entries and thank you NotJeffBuckley for your kind and generous offer.

Oct 25, 2006 at 4:38 AM Post #5 of 17
I'm extending the deadline to Friday to account for different browsing habits. On Friday, I will determine the winner, and a PM will be sent to get shipping details. It will be shipped on Saturday.

Oct 26, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 17
Sendin PM
biggrin.gif
Regardless of winning or not (i think being in Aus might be a bit of a annoyance
biggrin.gif
), its great that there are people out there putting their time, effort and cash on the line for others here
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2006 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 17
I'll announce tomorrow, may have to wait 'til monday to ship it though. There have been a few really deserving submissions, a few goofy ones, and some tought choices - I'll end up filtering and putting names into a hat, because I can't choose.

Oct 29, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 17
Alright. The selection was tough, and there were a lot of deserving entrants, but after long deliberation I have decided that the CMoy will go to...

Will75!! He has been trying to build a CMoy for years now and has been unable to figure it out. This CMoy will give him a visual aid to make the diagram more concrete, and once he has his own functioning CMoy he has agreed to send it out to another needy individual. That's right, this is going to be a travelin' CMoy, always finding a home with a needy DIY'er. Everyone don't forget to thank user TheMonkey for giving me the CMoy in the first place - after all, this is paying it forward.

Thank you all for entering - it was a difficult decision. To all you other DIYers out there struggling to get a CMoy put together, have faith - perhaps in the next round, you will be picked!

Oct 29, 2006 at 11:57 AM Post #15 of 17
YAY! Thanks so much to TheMonkey and NotJeffBuckley for their generosity.

My CMOY project has been ongoing for a long time now and recently on hiatus because I'm basically stuck. I'm a DIYer idiot because even Tangent's guide isn't clear cut for me.

I have the CMOY's jumpers, LED, and power section done. I'm just confused on the opamp and component part wiring (pot, etc.). This will help immensely!

Thanks to you both again, I truly appreciate it!

Also, as NotJeffBuckley said, this CMOY is not a keeper. With the generosity of these two it is now the OFFICIAL HEAD-FI CMOY FLOATER.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back