Paul Gilbert - Silence Followed By a Deafining Roar
May 8, 2008 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

megawzrd

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone else picked this up? Comments.

If your even slightly a fan of instrumental guitar music pick this up. I like it better than his last release Get out of My Yard (which was excellent as well). The whole album flows nicely. It is probably the best effort to come out of the guitar instrumental community in a few years. Thanks Paul.

May 8, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #2 of 5
Thanks, gonna check it out
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else picked this up? Comments.

If your even slightly a fan of instrumental guitar music pick this up. I like it better than his last release Get out of My Yard (which was excellent as well). The whole album flows nicely. It is probably the best effort to come out of the guitar instrumental community in a few years. Thanks Paul.

I felt just the opposite, that Get Out of My Yard was better. This one only has maybe 3 songs on it I like as well as almost any song on Yard. Having said that, I like both instrumental CDs better than any of his other solo work that I've heard when he includes vocals. His vocal quality is adequate when he sings, but his songs are... well, they strike me as dumb. Dunno any other way to describe it.

After seeing Gilbert in a G3 concert with Joe Satriani and John Petrucci I also picked up Mr Big - Lean Into It and Racer X - Technical Difficulties (both are bands Gilbert was in, I had no idea) and I like them both as well.

I had no idea who Gilbert was and went to see the other guys but ended up as a Paul Gilbert fan as well. He deserved to be on the stage with John and Joe, and that's saying something.

If you pick up either of his last 2 CDs you'll get a lot of good stuff to listen to.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #4 of 5
If you haven't, you should also check out Guthrie Govan and his album Erotic Cakes. You might like it.

May 9, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #5 of 5
x2 on what hardwired said, I like Get out of my Yard more. This ones ok, not great. Mr.Big pwns all (except for their cheesy ballads)

Colorado Bulldog ranks as one of the best rock songs ever in my books. And if you can get hold of Mr.Big Live in Japan, get it, however expensive it might be, one of the best live concerts ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back