Pauito D Rivera and some bad ass cats JAMMIN!!!!!!!!!
Nov 28, 2007 at 4:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mr. nice

500+ Head-Fier
watch this in its entirety and let me know what you think about Paquito, Trombone, Piano, and Trumpet. When they start Jammin!!!!!

YouTube - Paquito D'Rivera-

Pay attention to about 4minutes when the improvs really start especially when they start trading fours!!!!!!!!!AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!try not to skip to that and take 10 minutes to listen to everything....WELL WORTH IT TRUST ME!!!!

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 22
YouTube - Caribe
GOTTA LOVE THIS STUFF!!!!!!

i actually studied with the same composition teacher michel had. all we did was talk about what a bad cat michel was at the piano! he was able to play (i forgot which beethoven piano sonata and movement) in octaves
eek.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 22
If you are interested in Latin Jazz, take a look at Calle 54 by Fernando Trueba, a lot fo good stuff in that film...well it is more like a documentary...

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 22
dam west new york! im out in might fort lee! and paquito is in weehawken! the GOLD COAST! not too sure about that....more like the BROWN COAST! not that i'm interested in latin jazz but to those who are or aren't this is pretty fun to watch cuz these dudes are insane. will look into what you told us!!!!!

watch the vid peeps
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 22
Yeah, that's the Dizzy Gillespie United Nations Orchestra. Dizzy comes out and introduces the soloists at the end. Quite a few of the cats there came to the States with Dizzy's help, sometimes monetarily. He was such a beautiful person. The Americans (like the trombonist, Slide Hampton) were often in his regular touring bands. Paquito and trumpeter Arturo Sandoval (there's a shot of him near the end; Claudio Roditi, from Brazil, takes the trumpet solo) were in a hot Cuban band called Irakere with Chucho Valdes. All of them ended up with fairly big careers, as did the pianist Lalo Schifrin, who's not in the UNO but was found by Dizzy in Argentina and went on to compose the theme for Mission Impossible and the Rush Hour films. Directly and indirectly, Dizzy Gillespie gave the world tons of music.

Nov 29, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 22
Just as a side note, Paquito did not come to the States using Dizzy influence, he defected from an Iraquere tour in the beginning of the 80's IIRC....Later on he met here Dizzy, but he was one of the best musicians in Cuba at the time he defected, so he made his career by his own...not the same case as Sandoval who used Dizzy to come here...if you can get the Adagio from Mozart played by him and the Cuban symphonic orchestra conducted by Leo Brower, that was simply amazing....

I knew Paquito personally here, a beautiful person BTW, and I know part of his past history

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 22
Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, Sovkiller, but I'm not sure why you sound so defensive. I wrote "quite a few of the cats," not all, and as you said, D'Rivera's Irakere bandmate Arturo Sandoval did indeed have Dizzy Gillespie's help coming to America. Also, Paquito toured in one of Dizzy's small bands within a few years of defecting, which some would consider career help. Great musicians tend to want to be around other great musicians.

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting, Sovkiller, but I'm not sure why you sound so defensive. I wrote "quite a few of the cats," not all, and as you said, D'Rivera's Irakere bandmate Arturo Sandoval did indeed have Dizzy Gillespie's help coming to America. Also, Paquito toured in one of Dizzy's small bands within a few years of defecting, which some would consider career help. Great musicians tend to want to be around other great musicians.

No please do not misunderstood me, it was really great that he meet Dizzy here, and it was good to receive help from him, of course Dizzy was a really great guy around them, but the fact was the he did not brought him to the States....and I had the impression that you mentioned Paquito as one of the musicians that come here as per Dizzy influence, sorry if I misunderstood you, but I know that this was not the case...Sorry I'm not defending anybody, BTW why do you think Dizzy tour with him around? Paquito at that time was a complete grown up musican, and he was already great, he is right now a presindentof the jazz fundation here in NJ, as well....

Sorry I was just trying to make a difference between Paquito and Arturo, career wise, and in the personal relationships, and as musicians both even while comming form the same roots are completelly different...BTW do not trust all what you saw in the Arturo movie, that movie is a big fraud IMO...I know Arturo history very well, and that was not the whole truth (talking about his life in Cuba and what he did or not there)...

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. nice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the more i think about it michel camilo is a freak! who the heck can play like that?

Very nice piano player, indeed very refined, I like him a lot...now for freaks on the piano, take a look as a curiosity to Cecil Taylor, man that guy is crazy while playing, you never know when he will finish...

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 22
Camilo can be both refined and freakish. It's interesting that Cecil Taylor's name has been mentioned, because early on Michel integrated a few of Cecil's things into his style; I'm thinking about that early record Why Not? Then, by the end of the '90s Michel's playing kinda chilled out as he explored more classical and romantic stuff. He's got tons of music under his fingers.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #14 of 22
cecil taylor is just not as refined. michel as mentioned b4 seems to just be more versatile. though another type of music check out sviatoslav richter for total command of the instrument.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #15 of 22
Hmm…we obviously have different ideas of what "refined" means. Put another way, at this point Cecil's "freakishness" is pretty burnished and formalized. It'd be interesting to ask Camilo what he thinks; you'd probably get an interesting answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back