Patricia Barber Meet?
Jul 31, 2004 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kentamcolin

1000+ Head-Fier
I know we have some Patricia Barber fans here. Any of you interested in meeting at the Green Mill some Monday night to catch her show? This would, of course, be a 21 and older gathering, and it we'll be out late on a "school" night. But she does a great show. I saw her once, with my wife, and she does not get Ms. Barbers type of jazz and wanted to leave after the first set.
mad.gif
I've been meaning to get back ever since. She plays regularly there. Not every Monday but often so we'll see how many are interested and I'll throw out some dates.

Jul 31, 2004 at 2:59 PM Post #2 of 13
How cool would this be! There is in fact a member here who is the bassist for Patricia. Wouldn't it be cool if he could pull some string and you could actually meet her after the show?

"Hi, we are the bonafide contigent from Head-fi, you might know us by our catch phrase "sorry about your wallet." Inquiring minds what to know, what can's do you use?"

wink.gif
Okay maybe don't go that far...

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 13
That would be cool, too bad I am in California.
frown.gif

Incidently, her bass player used to post here under the moniker "mikejazz."

Aug 11, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 13
She is a jazz singer/pianist. Her music is acoustic and usually consists of a quartet or quintet of musicians. She is touring now but plays in Chicago at the Green Mill on Monday nights when she is not touring. Most of her music is her own. Very talented and very creative, with fantastic musicianship. Her recordings are absolutely first rate. Check out her latest "Verse" if you want to hear your system sound its best. She also has released her "Modern Cool" music on vinyl.

Aug 11, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #6 of 13
Billy,

I have a few of her CDs. I'll bring them over and your messenger-fi bag. Nothing like live music, especially by someone as reknowned as Patricia Barber and coming home to play for the common folk when she is not touring.

The last time I saw Patricia Barber at the Green Mill, I spoke to her bassist Mike Arnopol (mikejazz as JMT mentioned). At the time he asked ME questions about closed headphones and travelling. He was a cool guy.

Regards - reynman

Aug 15, 2004 at 12:29 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm in for this...and may have a buddy who is interested as well. Dates!!!

Aug 15, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #10 of 13
Timing is everything. I may be up there for the Chicago Marathon. My wife is going to run the full and if I go I may run the 1/2. It all depends on whether I can coordinate some client entertainment on the Thurs. before. I would be leaving Monday afternoon so I wouldn't be around to catch her show, assuming she was even there on that Monday.

Sep 3, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #11 of 13
I am so jelous I graduated from school in IN last year. I would definetely make the drive for this.

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #12 of 13
She is playing at the Park West on Sat. Sept. 11. I doubt I can make that, and although the Park West is a good place to hear music, I personally like the Green Mill better since you can get there early and sit five feet in front of the band. I'll do some checking and see if she will be at the Green Mill on of these Monday's since she is in town.

Sep 3, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #13 of 13
...and for us Northern Californians, she's playing at Kuumbwa in Santa Cruz on Monday, December 6th (weird, I was sure it said Saturday the 4th last time I looked).

If any other head-fiers will be going and want to do a meet (possibly an extended-standing-in-line-there's-no-reserved-seating portables meet
evil_smiley.gif
), I'm in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back