Passive or active computer speakers?
Sep 17, 2011 at 9:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

woob

New Head-Fier
Hello all!

I want to replace some old Logitech Z5300e speakers that are currently hooked up to my Creative X-fi XtremeMusic soundcard (also old).  My headphone setup is PC -> uDac2 -> Marantz 2235 Receiver -> Beyer DT990.  I am looking for some 2.0 speakers that will fit on a space-challenged desk.  I was thinking Audioengine A2, but I know there have to be passive speaker options that I haven't unearthed yet.  Unfortunately, I don't know where they are or how to find them.  Most of the suggestions that pop up for computer speakers on Head-fi are actives like the Audioengines.

Thanks for the help!

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 16
You need an amp to drive passive speakers.  If your desk is space challenged, stick to active monitors.  You can look at the swans as an alternative to the audioengines as well.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 16
Are there no small passive monitors?  My Marantz receiver will probably end up driving whatever I buy unless actives won't work with it.  Will there be some sort of amp conflict if I route a set of active speakers through my amp?

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #4 of 16
I dont think you can amp active speakers, as thats double amping since active speakers have their own built in amp and crossover. But you may be able to use the marantz as a DAC. But if you have an amp as good as a marantz you NEED to go passives, no excuses
Quote:
Are there no small passive monitors?  My Marantz receiver will probably end up driving whatever I buy unless actives won't work with it.  Will there be some sort of amp conflict if I route a set of active speakers through my amp?

EDIT: Oh and btw the A2 are not that great, whats your budget I can give you a semi list I had when I was looking into active speakers
And ignore my marantz DAC statement didnt see that you posted the model too def cant be used as a DAC

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 16
There are lots and lots and lots of passive speakers that can work well for a desktop set-up.  You'll need to make sure that the marantz can drive them but it should be able to drive a wide variety of passive speakers.  You might want to check out the NHT superzeros at $200 a pair; they are small and are easy to set up for near field.  I don't know what your budget is but if you get them with the super 8 sub, you'll have a fine system: http://www.avguide.com/article/nht-releases-new-superzero-20-monitor-and-super-8-sub  Small bookshelves lack a low end and this is a very good combo.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #7 of 16
You can't active speakers with a amp since they already have a amp built in you will end up blowing both the active speakers and speaker amp if you try, there are plenty are small passives the jbl control 1 , Energy CB-5 , Pioneer S-31B-LR , Mission MV-2 , Polk Audio OWM3

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Before I get to the replies, I have another question:  If I do buy actives, how big of a difference will there be plugged into my onboard card (Realtek) compared to an old Creative X-fi XtremeMusic - don't judge haha, I bought this thing years ago for gaming.

Quote:

EDIT: Oh and btw the A2 are not that great, whats your budget I can give you a semi list I had when I was looking into active speakers

I've overspent lately, so I'm trying to stay <$200 and that's a hard limit.  I don't need anything AMAZING, since I love the sound out of my 990s; I'm just looking for something that I can turn to for the occasional time that I get bored of the headphones.  Right now that secondary choice is the z5300e, but they just sound terrible now that I know where mid- and hi-fi can take a listening experience!

Quote:
There are lots and lots and lots of passive speakers that can work well for a desktop set-up.  You'll need to make sure that the marantz can drive them but it should be able to drive a wide variety of passive speakers.  You might want to check out the NHT superzeros at $200 a pair; they are small and are easy to set up for near field.  I don't know what your budget is but if you get them with the super 8 sub, you'll have a fine system: http://www.avguide.com/article/nht-releases-new-superzero-20-monitor-and-super-8-sub  Small bookshelves lack a low end and this is a very good combo.

Those look sweet!  $200 is my budget, though.  How is their sound without the sub?  I am not looking to build an amazing system.  Rather, I need an occasional alternative to the 990s; they are still going to be my primary output.

Quote:
You can't active speakers with a amp since they already have a amp built in you will end up blowing both the active speakers and speaker amp if you try, there are plenty are small passives the jbl control 1 , Energy CB-5 , Pioneer S-31B-LR , Mission MV-2 , Polk Audio OWM3

Thanks for the suggestions!  Do you have any experience with these, i.e. how they sound?  Thanks again!

Sep 21, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 16
The superzeros are sweet for $200 and since they are very flexible as to placement.  All small bookshelf speakers in your price range lack a low end and you can add a sub later if you desire and budget permitting.  I think they will be hard to beat at $200 and NHT gives you a 30 day trial period.

Sep 22, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #11 of 16
Passives are really the way to go.  You have a decent receiver, why would you even look at those tiny woofers in powered speakers under $200.  Put the money toward decent passive bookshelves like those mentioned above, they are good suggestions.  If you really want a deal buy some open box or "b=-stock"  speakers.  Usually they have a cosmetic issue or none and are discounted.  My favorite would be the PSB line.

Here are some examples:  http://www.saturdayaudio.com/picturepages/psb_bstock.htm  But the B-4s are a bit over your budget.  Check out your local craigslist for good deals on nice bookshelves from the 80s and see if you can find any of the last true audio stores to listen to some lower priced stuff, maybe they have some trade in or used models.

Lastly, can you put a simple diy kit together, probably, then you may want to consider Parts Express and their kits or even some of their lower priced already built speakers.  Here is a kit that will actually give you bass and should not be too hard to put together:  http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-640

Or you could get something already built:  http://www.parts-express.com/wizards/searchResults.cfm?searchFilter=&srchExt=CAT&perPage=25&sortBy=1&layout=list&page=1&srchPrice=5&srchCat=764&srchMfg=&srchPromo=&srchAttr=

Good luck!

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 16
I think I have decided on a pair of NHT Superzeroes.  DIY isn't the route I want to take for speakers, and I was able to find a local dealer (I'm in Vancouver, BC - no Guitar Centres to demo stuff), so I can order through them.

Thank again, Head-fi, you've been a great help!

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #15 of 16
Yeah, let us know how they sound!

I'm not sure what the bass is like on the subzeroes or how the sub is connected/setup on the loogitechs, but if you have a line out on your amp/DAQ you could always use the logitech sub with a set of passive bookshelves.  It's not the best solution for a low end granted, but it'll certainly do.  I DIYed a set of passive MTMs and am using the cheap sub that came with a $40 2.1 system from the line out on my NuForce Icon 2.  There is a little bit of crosstalk, but with the sub under the desk it's really not that bad.

Just a thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back