Passive listening doesn't make you smarter
Mar 14, 2010 at 5:42 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonder if those scientists got payed for stating the obvious? I mean just use common sense... If you get sleepy and relaxed while listening to music you aren´t activating your brain.

The problem is that people often don't want to believe in the obvious until some authority figure hammer the truth right in, and "common sense" is all but common.

Things like "The Mozart effect" are too good a free lunch to pass: you can get "smarter" (whatever that means) by doing next to nothing, what's not to like about it? People want to believe it is true. Record companies want to perpetuate this belief too, so that they can drag out their old catalog and make some quick bucks -- again, too good a free lunch to pass.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that people often don't want to believe in the obvious until some authority figure hammer the truth right in, and "common sense" is all but common.

This statement is so very true. All people are skeptical at first, but what if a scientist feeds you with scientific facts? You will believe him with your heart and guts.
It's a basic principle I learned in philosophy class, a statement proven on a scientific level will never be faulty, at least in theory.

And working with music opens your ears and eyes in a way that astonishes you. You can hardly believe how some music is produced today, how lazy these artists can be. With a studio at home, anyone could create good music. I mean, it's mostly just a matter of scrambled samples in a melodic sequence.

Mar 14, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #18 of 19
I'd actually never heard that you could become more intelligent simply by listening to music, and I wouldn't believe it regardless since it's like saying staring at art increases intelligence.

I do, however, still believe that listening to certain types of music is conducive to my brain absorbing information during studying. A little Bach or Mozart during my reading of novels or studying German has helped me concentrate for years. So, in that respect, I think passive listening can be beneficial.

That said, science seems to overturn findings then reaffirm them all the time. Are we running out of discoveries?
tongue_smile.gif

Cheers,
Zach

Users who are viewing this thread

Back