Passive I/V + step-up transformer + tube
Sep 15, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #34 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazuki
I think "wrong" is not the right term here. If you look at the DAC description here, they highlight that the Hyperstream Modulator is different from conventional delta sigma DACs.

Oh please, pretty much every sigma delta modulator unique in one way or the other, but they are sigma delta modulators nonetheless.

Sep 16, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Oh please, pretty much every sigma delta modulator unique in one way or the other, but they are sigma delta modulators nonetheless.

I don't understand why you have to sound so dismissive. Have you heard this DAC?

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #36 of 40
Mazuki, he is not being dismissive, a duck is a duck.

Not saying the Buffalo is bad, but it is a S-D DAC. Never heard it and probably never will unless Jocko or Dsavitsk would recommend it over the PCM63K or the AD1862/5. My opinion is that the PCM63K and the AD1862 were the pinacle of digital to analog conversion, before the bean counters had their way. With all the features jammed into the Sabre chip, it just looks like an accountants creation, hope I'm wrong.

Sep 16, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #37 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never heard it and probably never will unless Jocko or Dsavitsk would recommend

I'm flattered to be in that sentence, though I clearly don't belong there. Jocko has forgotten more about DACs that I think I'll ever know -- he is an engineer after all, and I am not.

Honestly, I don't really have a strong opinion about D-S one way or the other, other than I haven't really played with the parts. Maybe they are great, maybe they are terrible, but I don't particularly like ICs with too many features because it spoils the DIY aspect. I tend to think the I/V and gain stages have more influence than the digital part on the overall sound. V out chips sort of ruin that part of it, as it takes it out of the designer's hands. Anyhow, DIY is about learning and experimenting for me, so when someone else does it all for me, it takes away all the fun.

Oct 5, 2008 at 9:02 AM Post #40 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodentmacbeastie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regal.

Would I be able to use a resistor and then directly into my Aikido 24V preamp?

yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back