Passive filter basics for my CMoy
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Gaudeamos

New Head-Fier
I've built a couple of CMoys with slightly different input stages from Chu Moy's design (written up in HeadWize: "A Pocket Headphone Amplifier"). For evaluation purposes I wanted a unity gain amplifier with an audio bypass switch. That allows me to easily compare the amp's output to the non-amplified source signal for a given pair of phones.

... So, I left the level-reducing resistor (R1) in addition to adding a 10K stereo pot for volume control. I recognized the topology as an (almost complete) passive band pass filter. All it was missing was an appropriate cap to ground following the attenuating resistor, which I thought might be a good idea to dunk any HF/RF noise picked up by the interconnect cable.

Then  I came across another HeadWize article "Designing An Opamp Headphone Amplifier" where I read "Low and high pass filters can be cascaded at the input, so long as the resistor values of each filter are different by at least a factor of 10.

My question: why? I haven't found any such requirement anywhere else regarding passive filter circuits. Any insight would be appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back