Passive Bookshelves For Desk System Under $400
Apr 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Crow T Robot

Head-Fier
After finally getting rid of my Audioengines, I've decided to go the passive + amp route for my new desktop system. I managed to get a great deal on a Teac A-H01, so I have the amp covered, but now I'm trying to pick a pair of speakers, and every time I think I have a set picked out, I either come across some disparaging review of the speakers in question, or someone mentions yet another set that sounds appealing, and the cycle of endless Googling, and waffling continues.

So far I've come across:

Wharfedale Diamond 10.1
Behringer Truth B2031P
Arx A1b
Cambridge S30
PSB Alpha B1
KEF iQ30

Any opinions/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Apr 10, 2013 at 1:53 AM Post #2 of 14
I use Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs. I used to own the Cambridge S30s. The S30s are great speakers for the price--hard to beat--but the Ascends are much better to me for nearfield use (and otherwise). Great tight sounding bass with usable response down to 50hz. Fairly neutral response. Excellent transient response, too--reminds me a little of my Grados (but without the brighter treble).

I've heard very good things about the iQ30s, but I would think that they would be very hard to find now unless you buy used.

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 14
I would definitely think about the KEF Q100 or Q300. They are available at accessories4less at very substantial savings. I owned floorstanders from the Q series, the Q700s, briefly, which were wonderful except that they produced too much bass in my room. I've been thinking about the Q100 or Q300, if my finances loosen up a bit. Google for reviews and give them some consideration.

-Bob

Apr 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 14
+1 for the Kef Q300. But to even get them close to your budget, you would need to go with the refurbished ones at accessories4less.com.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 14
I can't recall exactly where I purchased my bookshelves or who made them, but they've always done exactly as I commanded and continued to be shelves for books. Nobody likes those passive-aggressive bookshelves that sag or turn into rubber after being ignored.

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
I can't recall exactly where I purchased my bookshelves or who made them, but they've always done exactly as I commanded and continued to be shelves for books. Nobody likes those passive-aggressive bookshelves that sag or turn into rubber after being ignored.

beerchug.gif

Apr 11, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 14
Don`t you dare to think that thing can drive good british speakers,
try to get a real integrated, or find some easy to drive bookshelves with high sensibility..

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 14
So my Teac won't be able to drive the Wharfedales at decent levels for nearfield listening?

I guess my decision is down to the Ascends vs the Arx A1b. Leaning heavily toward the Ascends. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them.

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 14
The Teac would be fine for driving any of those speakers for nearfield listening. Will likely get louder than you would typically want to listen to them unless you want to jam the speakers up really loud.

The Teac is 30 watts, right? If you double the watts, that's only 3db more output. It takes +10db in output for a double perceived increased in volume. So even if you had a 100 watt amp, it probably wouldn't get twice as loud as the Teac.

That being said, the Ascends are rated with 3db more sensitivity. So they should play as loud at 30 watts as the Wharfedales would with 60 watts. And personally, I think the Ascends are a slight notch up from the Wharfedales in overall SQ, but your listening preferences could be different.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 14
The Wharfedales are a little cheaper with free shipping, but mostly I just love they way they look. I know that's a terrible reason to buy a speaker, but they are certainly pretty.

I think I'm going to go for the Ascends, though. Everything I've read about them makes them sound perfect for me, and they have a 30 day trial period.

Thanks for the help. :)

Apr 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #13 of 14
It`s not a matter of how loud it goes, but just the quality they drive those speakers, especially at low volumes driving, you need a good and powerful amplifier,
we don`t buy headphone amplifiers because laptop volume is not enough..
well not that I`m saying that Teac is not good, never heard of that.. you should just listen..

Apr 12, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Be sure to share your thoughts on the Ascends once you listen to them :)

Also, I believe that they do benefit a little from break-in. I think Dave F. at Ascend recommends 40 to 50 hours, but I think the more noticeable difference is after the first 20 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back