Passive amplification project
Sep 17, 2012 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Mr Vibe

New Head-Fier
Hello, 

I would like to experiment ways to amplify the sound without the use of electricity (passive amplification).

The sound from the source can be modified through the amplification process, this is for the experience only. I plan to build passive amplifiers based on your returns so if you have any idea let me know :). Right now this is all new in my mind but I'm quite excited about this project so any feeback will be more than appreciated 

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:25 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hello, 

I would like to experiment ways to amplify the sound without the use of electricity (passive amplification).

The sound from the source can be modified through the amplification process, this is for the experience only. I plan to build passive amplifiers based on your returns so if you have any idea let me know :). Right now this is all new in my mind but I'm quite excited about this project so any feeback will be more than appreciated 

If you have the neck for it, a couple of these may work.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm pretty sure the best you can do is increase the energy of certain frequency components by using the energy from the surrounding bins. It's not really amplification. If there is a way, I'd be interested to hear.

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 7
@ Mr Tom: Yep megaphones would be the easiest solution but I'm trying to go further. 

To give you an example some materials have a very high celerity. That is the reason why you can hear a train from very far when you put your ears on the rails for example. The sound isn't as fast in the air. An other example is the stereoscope that amplifies the sound because of the particular shape of its extremity. These are some physical particularities I want to operate and use to amplify the sound or make the inaudible audible. A friend of mine was working on a project to make music audible for deaf persons while using the bones as sound conductor. It's just to give you an example of what type of experiments I'm looking for. 

I know you guys probably feel more concerned about active amp systems but any passive sound system that comes to your mind would be helpful :). I have the time and will to experiment different ways so don't hesitate if you have a crazy idea

@ spaark: That sounds very interesting, if any of you know how I could technicaly try this.. :) 

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Well, first step should be to keep unwanted enviornmental sounds away.
The less noise around you the less amplification you need.

Cheers!

This is a good point, I'll work on the isolation of unwanted sounds first. 

I hesitate between working on headphones /earphones or speakers. Isolating an open environment would be harder but isolating an earbud could be tricky too as everything is so small.

My goal is to create a passive noise amplification system that most of us would need in the real world, for concrete applications. I thought about interaction with the listener too.. Idealy I would like to have the ability to interact with the music by modifying the sound in real time but without using any tech or electronic. I don't want to play on the source but rather on a modulable environment that could change/ amplify the music, like a stretchable soundbox if you see what I mean. Right now I'm looking for different materials that either have a high celerity (aluminium, ceramic) to amplify the sound or a small one (foam, sand etc..) to isolate undesired noises. 

Sorry if this all sounds a bit theorical but this is just the beginning. As I said it's all about the experimentation 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back