Pass Labs - HPA1
Jan 5, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #301 of 328
@Strayngs don't you guys just love when someone hides himself behind pseudo scientific approach doing measurements and completely ignoring another branch of science that tells us that everyones hearing is different. I find it so amusing but in a long run it could be harmful to niche manufacturers and the whole market.

The long story short: don't let anyone tell you what you are hearing and especially what you should be liking :)
yep those guys will listen to a headphone…but wont know if they like it or not until they see the measurements LOL.

Jan 5, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #302 of 328
@Strayngs don't you guys just love when someone hides himself behind pseudo scientific approach doing measurements and completely ignoring another branch of science that tells us that everyones hearing is different. I find it so amusing but in a long run it could be harmful to niche manufacturers and the whole market.

The long story short: don't let anyone tell you what you are hearing and especially ***what you should be liking :)***
*** "you're 🫵 gonna like what I tell you to like, whether you like it or not!!" 😤🤪🤣🤣

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #303 of 328
As the previous owner of the ASR-reviewed HPA-1, I can state I was not offended nor relieved about Amir’s opinions on this amp. I sent it to ASR because I was “academically” curious if such high dollar devices measure as good as its price would suggest. I had decided on selling it long before I sent it over for Amir to review.

But yes @George Hincapie, agree with the rest here that not getting it because of a poor review is playing it a little too safe, specially considering the HPA-1 has near universal acclaim by those who’ve heard it.

What does kinda suck is that auditioning such high priced items is near impossible, even here in SoCal, so you’re forced to take a big risk in purchasing based solely on reputation.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:18 PM Post #304 of 328
As the previous owner of the ASR-reviewed HPA-1, I can state I was not offended nor relieved about Amir’s opinions on this amp. I sent it to ASR because I was “academically” curious if such high dollar devices measure as good as its price would suggest. I had decided on selling it long before I sent it over for Amir to review.
What does price have to do with measurements! This is just silly

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #305 of 328

But yes @George Hincapie, agree with the rest here that not getting it because of a poor review is playing it a little too safe, specially considering the HPA-1 has near universal acclaim by those who’ve heard it.

What does kinda suck is that auditioning such high priced items is near impossible, even here in SoCal, so you’re forced to take a big risk in purchasing based solely on reputation.
It isn't hugely different in the UK chap. I hate ordering if I think I may return an item, and always feel pressured when I go to dealers.

Why did you sell your HPA-1 out of curiosity?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #306 of 328
What does price have to do with measurements! This is just silly
I work at a car studio and we do lots of benchmarking from many brands and yes, Hondas and VWs have fit and finish that puts the Aston Martins to shame.

Build quality and/or measurements for some of these high priced items is sometimes laughable, but also sometimes they are the ones to put a big smile on your face.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #307 of 328
It isn't hugely different in the UK chap. I hate ordering if I think I may return an item, and always feel pressured when I go to dealers.

Why did you sell your HPA-1 out of curiosity?
I heard the BHSE-CRBN system at The Source AV and decided to rebuild around it, leaving the HPA-1 with no real use in my system.

Most of my headphones are easy to drive and/or portable, which I enjoy with my Mojo 2/ Poly on most days. Between the 2 desktop amps I had, my DNA Starlett got the most playtime. As the Starlett was voiced with dynamics in mind, only the LCD-3 was left without a proper amp. Still trying to decide what to get for them, probably a Woo Wa7.

What can I say? I like tubes.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #308 of 328
BTW one the first things that attracted me to the HPA-1 was Pass’s reputation of creating tube sounding gear without tubes, so a TOTL-type tube sounding SS amp looked great to me on paper, but it ended up sounding very much like a SS amp to me, just a really good one.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #309 of 328
BTW one the first things that attracted me to the HPA-1 was Pass’s reputation of creating tube sounding gear without tubes, so a TOTL-type tube sounding SS amp looked great to me on paper, but it ended up sounding very much like a SS amp to me, just a really good one.
I have a TOTL tube amp already. Looking for a TOTL solid state that doesn't cost HM-1 money.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #311 of 328
What does price have to do with measurements! *** This is just silly
*** the only correlation is that as audio $ ⬆️, wallet depth ⬇️ .... 🎼😌🎶 ---> 😵‍💫

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #312 of 328
One of the reasons I was attracted to the HPA-1, as @NickMimi has talked about, was its top notch preamp functionality, along with being an excellent HP amp. I regularly use it for both those duties and it's fantastic. The preamp capability IMO adds to its value proposition considerably. It's noticeably better than the volume pot on my Pendant, and I can envision using it as a preamp in the future, with or without using it as a head amp.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #313 of 328
*** the only correlation is that as audio $ ⬆️, wallet depth ⬇️ .... 🎼😌🎶 ---> 😵‍💫
Yep … you can spend a fortune and still have poor sound LOL. I have gotten much better at matching equipment over the years …. But the trial and error learning what you like and what is out there to match what you like….is a very expensive road. The measurement crowd is usually looking for something that I am going to find lifeless and beyond boring LOL.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #314 of 328
I have never heard the HPA-1 but I had a X250.8 for my 2 channel system that was phenomenal. I would still have it today but I moved to a super efficient pair of speakers that my 8wpc ampsandsound is more than is needed for.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #315 of 328
A) "The measurement crowd" a/k/a: 'Amirytes', 'asrians' ...
B) Their mantra? 🤔🫰 ... "music is for losers who don't listen to graphs" 😤😒 ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back