Pass Labs HPA-1 versus Luxman P-750U / Plus Chord “Qutest Ever” Ideas
Jul 13, 2020 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

NeoDiNardo

100+ Head-Fier
I recently acquired the $3,000 (US) Focal Stellia headphones. And I found they were worth every moca-colored penny. Beyond a doubt, the Stellia is a very special set of headphones. Gloria Estefan, Billy Joel, Queen, Macklemore, Taylor Swift, they all sound “stellar”. For the cherry on top, the Stellia is closed-back and easy to drive for true versatility. To complete the flagship headphone experience I’m looking for a fairly powerful, solid state, analog-only headphone amplifier. It can be a desktop or a rack component, size matters not. Analog only, as I want to pick out my own DAC.

For DACs I’m thinking about the Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 USB Gen 5 and or the Chord Qutest. It might be nice to have both DACs for the extra inputs and the benefit of some sound signature versatility. Or I could use one DAC in my main stereo and the other DAC in my gaming PC workstation. The Qutest is single-ended out and the Yggdrasil is balanced XLR out. I can definitely put those two DACs to good use in my apartment.

The elephant in the room is the popular Chord Hugo TT2 option. And I don’t have Chord Dave dollars so we can just forget about that option. Ultimately, after much internal debate, I decided to pass on the TT2. It’s a nice and powerful DAC headphone amplifier with preamplifier abilities. However, for various reasons, I just don’t want to use it as the center of my audio system. And the TT2 is a bit expensive to use as a DAC-only component that I would want it to be. I don’t care how extra transparent that one box setup is. Or how cool it looks with a Chord Hugo M Scaler stacked underneath.

OK, I care a little bit. The thing is, I would much rather pick out separate components. That way, if I want a big sexy volume dial, I can get that. I can make the audio system, the components, and all the fine details just the way I want it to be. With separates I feel you can get more options, better quality, and easier upgrades. Then when Chord’s inevitable “Qutest Ever” (I called it here first!!) comes out it will be far easier to afford that than any “TT3”. There’s definitely a deluxe DAC-only product hole in Chord’s lineup. I’d pay up to $3,000 for a DAC-only “Qutest Ever” with 100,000 taps, XLR out, and M Scaler upgrade ports. Sadly, the TT2 is that product but with $2,500 of other things I don’t want. I value simplicity and you could buy a Schiit Yggdrasil for $2,500 alone. As it is, I’m seriously considering the Qutest for now and the M Scaler upgrade for later. At about $6,500 it’s Chord’s more obtainable endgame DAC option. Or maybe, just maybe, Chord could repackage the DAC-only Qutest with XLR out but with new casework that resembles the M Scaler’s dimensions. Then you could stack it right up. Not too far off from the other modular ideas Chord likes to employ. That would be it for me, big thumbs up if that happens. You could mostly reuse the same chipset design and I’d hand over about $2,000 for that wonderful product.

The Focal Stellia seems to be the perfect closed-back headphone for me. No Ragrets, not even a single letter. Next, I’d like to purchase the HIFIMAN Susvara for a nice planar magnetic open-back option. Then, I’ll wait for a Focal Utopia 2 open-back update. In addition, I want a flagship Noble custom IEM for on the go and for the gym.

Which brings me full circle to powerful, solid state, analog-only headphone amplifiers. Considering all of the above, I’m currently looking at two choices: The $3,500 Pass Labs HPA-1 or the $5,000 Luxman P-750U. The Pass Labs has a single-ended design and can be used as a minimalist analog preamplifier (very useful in the short run). The Luxman has a fully balanced design and has a XLR pass threw option to sit itself inbetween the DAC and preamplifier or integrated amplifier (very useful in the long run). I’ve been looking at my local dealer situation and it might be very hard to demo the Luxman ahead of time. The Pass Labs is seemingly easier to find for an in-store demo. I can only try my best, I may need to do in home demos, or make an educated guess.

At the moment, I’m leaning towards the Luxman P-750U. The brand is very popular, the engineering is solid, and the feature set is perfect. And the reviews that are available on it are glowing and positive. The Pass Labs HPA-1 is also from a highly respected company that is even more popular. Pass Labs amplifier engineering is god-tier, products like the XA-60.8, the XA25, and the Int-25 are often labeled reference level amplifier components. Hands down, the Pass Labs HPA-1 is not as fully featured as the Luxman P-750U. Nonetheless, the HPA-1 is pleasantly streamlined and $1,500 cheaper. The Pass Labs HPA-1 has even more glowing and positive reviews. However, a couple of direct comparisons favored the Luxman. I believe that the Pass Labs brand and house sound is much more of a known quality. Nelson Pass is amplifier celebrity of sorts and his company is right here in the the USA. Pass Labs customer service and repair services is known to be phenomenal. And down to earth. Whereas the Luxman brand is much rarer stateside, they are based in Japan, and their house sound may need explanation for the uninitiated.

The big questions are has anyone here heard both the Luxman P-750U and the Pass Labs HPA-1? Are there other models I should be considering? And does the fully balanced design of the Luxman P750U (with XLR in and XLR out) simply outgun the streamlined, single end approach of the Pass Labs HPA-1? Is Pass Labs just the more popular, safer home team bet? Will Pass Labs ever make another headphone amplifier, preferably balanced with XLR? And is a fully balanced design worth $1,500 more?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2 of 16
Violectric Nimbus US4?

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #7 of 16
For a popular, high-end, Japanese audio brand that somehow escaped my radar, Luxman is a fairly awesome brand. It’s like discovering another Sony or Technics at the peak of their engineering heights. My research shows Luxman amplifiers pair extremely well with Harbeth speakers and trade blows with Pass Labs, McIntosh, and Mark Levinson.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #9 of 16
Steve Guttenberg prefers the Pathos Inpol Ear to the Pass Labs HPA-1 (his own reference Amp). Maybe try to hear that with the Stellias? You can get the Pathos Amp with and without an onboard DAC. - maybe try the Qutest with it?

I did check it out, cool brand, nice looking product, however, the tubes are a dealbreaker for me. I will try a tube headphone amplifier later on once my solid state equipment is all setup. That way if I don’t like chasing or rolling tubes I’m good with my main solid state system. I feel the same way about records, I’ll try them, but only as a secondary option. That’s partly what makes the Luxman P-750U so appealing, it’s a high-end headphone amplifier that avoids the use of DACs and tubes.

And I’ve noted that Steve Guttenburg also liked the Luxman P-750U more than the Pass Labs HPA-1. It seems his reference is the Pass Labs unit, but his reference does not mean the absolute best, just that the Pass Labs unit is a common point of reference at a high enough quality level.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #10 of 16
I did check it out, cool brand, nice looking product, however, the tubes are a dealbreaker for me. I will try a tube headphone amplifier later on once my solid state equipment is all setup. That way if I don’t like chasing or rolling tubes I’m good with my main solid state system. I feel the same way about records, I’ll try them, but only as a secondary option. That’s partly what makes the Luxman P-750U so appealing, it’s a high-end headphone amplifier that avoids the use of DACs and tubes.

And I’ve noted that Steve Guttenburg also liked the Luxman P-750U more than the Pass Labs HPA-1. It seems his reference is the Pass Labs unit, but his reference does not mean the absolute best, just that the Pass Labs unit is a common point of reference at a high enough quality level.
My main system is based around a Devialet 200 and I have a second system based around a Unison Research S8 which uses 845 power tubes and 12AU7 preamp tubes. There’s something about tubes that makes the midband absolutely glorious. Okay, the power tubes need replacing about every three years, but the preamp tubes last for 100,000 hours. The same would be for the Pathos Amp. Tubes sometimes get a bad rap. I cannot, having used them for years, understand why.

Jul 16, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #11 of 16
Steve Guttenberg prefers the Pathos Inpol Ear to the Pass Labs HPA-1

Yes, he does, but this has got much to do with his very power-hungry Abyss 1266. With some easier to drive Stellia/Utopia it could be a completely different verdict.

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:57 PM Post #12 of 16
My main system is based around a Devialet 200 and I have a second system based around a Unison Research S8 which uses 845 power tubes and 12AU7 preamp tubes. There’s something about tubes that makes the midband absolutely glorious. Okay, the power tubes need replacing about every three years, but the preamp tubes last for 100,000 hours. The same would be for the Pathos Amp. Tubes sometimes get a bad rap. I cannot, having used them for years, understand why.

For my main stereo system I was considering a tube preamplifier. I would then mate it with a solid state power amplifier to have the best of both worlds. For headphones, I’ll just have to buy a tube headphone amplifier to see what all the fuss is about. The Pathos Inpol Ear is cool looking but it’s design also a bit over the top for me. I prefer the simple, straight, symmetric style of the Luxman.

Yes, he does, but this has got much to do with his very power-hungry Abyss 1266. With some easier to drive Stellia/Utopia it could be a completely different verdict.

Good point on Steve Guttenburg’s perspective with the ultra power hungry Abyss headphones. The Pathos InPol Ear has about 10 watts per channel, the Chord Hugo TT2 has 7.3 (front headphone out) to 18 watts (rear XLR out), the Luxman P-750U has 4 watts, and the Pass Labs HPA-1 has 3.5 watts. All are quoted to be way more powerful than normal in their respective reviews. Normal headphone amplifiers seem to have about 2 watts per channel or less. For example, the Sony TA-ZH1ES has about 1.2 watts per channel.

From what I read the Luxman P-750U should have more than enough power to successfully drive the HIFIMAN Susvara. The Susvara is about as power hungry as I’d like to go. Anything more and it becomes a one amplifier specialty item such as an electrostatic setup. I’d like the majority of my headphones to work with all the normal high-end headphone amplifiers that I could purchase. I also look out for sensitive IEM compatibility. That’s more important to me than being able to drive the worlds most inefficient headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #13 of 16
For the record, I did compare yesterday the Pathos Inpol Ear with the Pass HPA-1 with Campfire Cascade (fairly sensitive) and the Pathos was clearly better.

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #14 of 16
Thanks for that report. And I’ve long discounted the Pass Labs HPA-1 by now. My big analog only three are currently the solid state Luxman P-750U, the tube assisted Pathos Inpol Ear, the tube laden Woo Audio WA33, and the DAC headphone amplifier Rupert Neve Fidelice did catch my eye for the 4.4 pentagon port. I ordered a Woo Audio WA11 Topaz to get me going and to have a laptop portable option.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #15 of 16
Did he ever compare Pathos Inpol Ear with NeoDiNardo's choice Luxman P750u? Especially since favoured both of them over his Pass Labs reference and for his 1266 headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back