Party Speakers
Jul 24, 2007 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Krug995

New Head-Fier
I feel sort of profane for even asking this on an audiophile forum but...

I belong to a fraternity (but am not a frat guy, don't judge!) and we throw parties every few weeks. We always had two guys who had their own speakers that we used, but they graduated last year, so new speakers are needed. I have a vintage twinpower amp from my dad, as well as two Epi 100's (woofers are blown so I need to repair them). I was just wondering if anyone had suggestions for some decent, basic (read--cheap) speakers that still will sound good enough for parties. Since they're stored in a basement, I would think that they will eventually be ruined by either the environment or spills or...something will happen to them. I don't want to speculate.

I'm not looking for an audiophile system, but it would be nice to have something that sounded great. Of course, for most people that would be getting the biggest subwoofer possible...ugh. But then again, I'm not experienced in what sounds good to dance to, I'm quite happy to relax in my room with my DT990's.

Any suggestions?

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 12
Swans M200 is just $200 on NewEgg and will get the job done very nicely. Fairly portable (i.e., you can put them in your trunk on your way to a beach party, provided you have a portable source) and self-powered rounds them out as nice party speakers.

hivi-m-200_b.jpg

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #3 of 12
Best party speakers I have heard which also maintained a semblance of quality were the Jamo XCM3 - not sure if they are made anymore though.

EDIT - I see the naming is different. On their website it is under "discontinued" products as the X870.

X870_med.jpg

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 12
The M200's look great but from some of the reviews it looks like the bass may not be quite sufficient for the general population? Any opinion on that?

Know anywhere I could find the Jamo X870?

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm assuming you are looking at more PA style speakers, like we have at the frats that I've been to. Something like the M200 would not cut it for a party

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm assuming you are looking at more PA style speakers, like we have at the frats that I've been to. Something like the M200 would not cut it for a party

Well...Honestly? I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I have no experience with speakers but figured this would be a good place to start asking and looking around. I thought it would be cool to have a better sound system than the other frats who mostly just have random speakers jury-rigged together. Any help is appreciated.

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 12
I think that in a party environment, audiophile speakers can actually hurt the ability to have easily-understood conversation. A mid-range and extreme treble roll-off will help the situation. This is one area where Bose might be recommended.
wink.gif

Look for a pair of vintage speakers with 15" woofers. They'll be guaranteed to sound nice and warm--what most people prefer at parties.

Jul 24, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 12
I would recommend to replace the woofers in the EPI's. You can find some decent woofers for a good price at parts express, they have a large selection in varied price ranges. To replace them it is actually quite easy....many websites can take you step by step on how to do it. I would imagine you should be able to get by for under $50 for the project.

Jul 24, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Krug995 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well...Honestly? I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I have no experience with speakers but figured this would be a good place to start asking and looking around. I thought it would be cool to have a better sound system than the other frats who mostly just have random speakers jury-rigged together. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EON15G2/
Speakers that look more like that, but I'm sure are lower and older models. I would be surprised if your frat could not budget some money for party speakers. If I were in a frat I could tell you more, but instead I've chosen to just stay on good terms with them, especially the sororities (
basshead.gif
)

Jul 25, 2007 at 12:56 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that in a party environment, audiophile speakers can actually hurt the ability to have easily-understood conversation. A mid-range and extreme treble roll-off will help the situation. This is one area where Bose might be recommended.
wink.gif

Bose?!?! Nooooooooooo....(hah, I never thought I'd hear the day when Bose was recommended for anything on head-fi. Point taken though.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd
Google: Behringer Eurolive series. You can get them for abour $150 each.

I use them, plus two eurolive sub's for parties. We always play some darkstep Drum and Bass.

Thanks for this suggestion--it looks like these may be exactly what I'm looking for. And a decent price too...Now to figure out if my receiver could handle it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zachary80
Speakers that look more like that, but I'm sure are lower and older models. I would be surprised if your frat could not budget some money for party speakers.

Unfortunately we're a small frat at a small school, meaning we have little enough funds to begin with.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back