Parts suggestions, please.
Nov 6, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

saucerfulofsecrets

New Head-Fier
I've got a pair of Grado SR-60s whose cable is at the end of its days. I chopped, soldered and shrink wrapped it.  The first time that held for a few months.  Did it again; held for a few weeks.  This time it held for just a few days...

Clearly the cutting and pasting has taken its toll on the original cable and it's time to replace the whole thing.   I'd like to use a detachable cable.  Since (in over 5 years) there hasn't been a problem with the cables running from the Y to the cups, I'm going to opt for the presumably much simpler task of putting a female 3.5mm plug in the Y piece and then just using a male to male 3.5mm stereo cable.  Actually I'll want the cable to have a straight plug on the headphone end and a right angle plug on the source end because I'm pretty sure most of my problems are coming from the fact that my mp3 player (sansa clip) has it's headphone jack on the side so the cable gets bent a lot over there.

So I'm just looking for some advice on a good store (probably online, unless someone knows Chicago audio shops?) and actual components: the female plug and a durable yet not-too-thick cable with straight and right angle plugs. I'm guessing I'll have to make the cable myself?  As these aren't very expensive headphones, I'd prefer to spend less than ~$15 on the whole project.

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back