Parts for a beginner
Jul 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

musicman43

New Head-Fier

After looking through all the great cables in the gallery I would like to try and make my own my cable. I have soldered a lot electronics but never a cable. My question is what parts (cable, connectors) would be good for someone just starting out. Are certain brands of connectors easier to work with then others, My goal is to make a 3 foot 1/8 to 1/4 interconnect.

Jul 11, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
After looking through all the great cables in the gallery I would like to try and make my own my cable. I have soldered a lot electronics but never a cable. My question is what parts (cable, connectors) would be good for someone just starting out. Are certain brands of connectors easier to work with then others, My goal is to make a 3 foot 1/8 to 1/4 interconnect.

Use Daleproaudio.com and buy some Nys231 jacks. They are just fine to work with and very cheap, but last a long time.

The head over to ebay and find some wire. Try to avoid teflon insulated stuff because its pretty stiff. I'd be on the look out for XLPE wire. Try searching for "XLPE wire".

Once you have your wire all set up, go to your nearest electronics shop, (Frys) and pick up some adequately sized heatshrink. As a beginner, it might be hard to pick through the stuff online, so having the heatshrink in your hand will help you determine what size is what.

Jul 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 5
It would help us to give you advice if we at least knew what country you are in.
Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back