Partnering with Audiolab Omnia
Oct 28, 2022 at 7:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

New Head-Fier
Dear All,
Hello, this is my first ever post, so any kind assistance from you guys would be very gratefully received and appreciated. I've recently purchased an Audiolab Omnia all-in-one system (£1600), which has a dedicated internal headphone amp. In a past life I went through many separates/headphone amp/headphones combos and now the wife has put her foot down and I've shrunk everything down to a one box hifi. I'd really rather not buy an additional headphone amp as I believe the Omnia's to be very good. I'm now looking for a suitable pair of closed-back headphones (so as not to disturb others in the room) and I'm having real trouble deciding which will a) sound best with the Omnia, and b) which will match best impedance-wise and sensitivity-wise). Models I'm mulling over at the moment are:

Audeze LCD-2
Beyerdynamic T5 3rd Gen
Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X, Beyerdynamic 1770 Pro
Denon AH-D5200
Denon AH-D7200.

I know that you guys are very knowledgable and I'm swimming a bit against the tide and really want to get this right, so any kind assistance would be wonderful. Thankyou to all repliers in advance.

Oct 28, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome. I can't speak to matching with the Omnia but I've heard or owned some of the headphones you have mentioned.

Audeze LCD-2 - planar speed, good low end, enough detail for its price point and the tuning is improved with some EQ.
D5200 - overall very neutral and pleasing sound, low end is enjoyable but not a tremendous amount of detail overall, though enough for many. In the sub $300 used price point, this would be my pick.
D7200 - this is full of bass but it's a touch grainy on the low end, there's detail but the headphones are somewhat dark and the treble is rolled off, great for relaxing not analyzing the music.

Hope that helps.

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks guys that’s all a massive help. Follow up points and questions if I may..
I can’t equalise so LCD-2 maybe not tje best for me. D-5200 sounds like a possibility though I like a detailed ‘phone. D-7200 might be too relaxed for me.
I hadn’t considered damping, only impedance. Would you suggest a headphone of around 80 ohms or way higher say 250? Either figure would be ok impedance wise for the Omnia I think.

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks guys that’s all a massive help. Follow up points and questions if I may..
I can’t equalise so LCD-2 maybe not tje best for me. D-5200 sounds like a possibility though I like a detailed ‘phone. D-7200 might be too relaxed for me.
I hadn’t considered damping, only impedance. Would you suggest a headphone of around 80 ohms or way higher say 250? Either figure would be ok impedance wise for the Omnia I think.
Even if you can't EQ the LCD, it's still a fine headphone. It just improves with some tweaking. The D5200 needs no EQ, imho, but the 7200 benefits from a little.

A lot of the headphones on your list are somewhat bass heavy... if it's detail you're looking for, you might be happy with an HD800. Many use the 800 and 800S as their primary or only headphone. Bass is there, but not in quantity like some of these other ones.

Find some owners of the Omnia here and see what they like pairing with it.

Oct 28, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #6 of 7
I’d know I’d love the 800 or 800s but theyre too pricey and open backed. The 820s is the closed back equivalent I think but at £1800 its double my budget and seems excessive for using with £1600 all-in-one and £2000 Elac b312 speakers. I do love Senns though.. had the 650’s for years but too open.. my missus has had enough of the sound leakage that all of my previous open backs have had.

Jan 15, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #7 of 7
Dear All,
Hello, this is my first ever post, so any kind assistance from you guys would be very gratefully received and appreciated. I've recently purchased an Audiolab Omnia all-in-one system (£1600), which has a dedicated internal headphone amp. In a past life I went through many separates/headphone amp/headphones combos and now the wife has put her foot down and I've shrunk everything down to a one box hifi. I'd really rather not buy an additional headphone amp as I believe the Omnia's to be very good. I'm now looking for a suitable pair of closed-back headphones (so as not to disturb others in the room) and I'm having real trouble deciding which will a) sound best with the Omnia, and b) which will match best impedance-wise and sensitivity-wise). Models I'm mulling over at the moment are:

Audeze LCD-2
Beyerdynamic T5 3rd Gen
Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X, Beyerdynamic 1770 Pro
Denon AH-D5200
Denon AH-D7200.

I know that you guys are very knowledgable and I'm swimming a bit against the tide and really want to get this right, so any kind assistance would be wonderful. Thankyou to all repliers in advance.
Can confirm the 5200 sounds brilliant with the internal Omnia headamp,better in this particular application (and only this) than the 7200 and better than my dedicated headphone amps with this particular headphone .

I may well be the only person who has this fairly obscure combination.The Audiolab has a warm/organic h/o and works very nicely indeed with the D5200 Denon (great impact, dynamics and open soundstage) and Grado (RS2e in my case) less well with the 7200 (little tooo much bass) and Sennheiser (HD600; dull and under driven, lacking dynamically)

Great synergy and may be enough reason to keep them, against the odds ?!?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back