Parting of the Sensory -SongMeanings.net
Sep 6, 2007 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JSTpt1022

500+ Head-Fier
Over in the Favorite Songs of 2007 thread someone posted a link to songmeanings.net. I went over there and searched for what I had posted as my favorite song of the year, "Parting of the Sensory" by Modest Mouse. I was shocked to find what the majority of the people there believe this song is about. I'm very interested in what the Head-Fi community feels about the meaning behind this song. I will add my thoughts later as I don't want to taint people's opinions.

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #2 of 6
I think the song is about the cycle we all go through (birth to inevitably death) and paints an almost nihilistic painting of it.

Sep 6, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #3 of 6
Modest Mouse are nowhere near as big in the UK as they are in the US, and thanks to that thread "Parting of the Sensory" (which I DL'd from iTunes) is the only MM song that I've ever (knowingly) heard. It's a pretty good song ... it looks to me as though it might me an address to Dubya about Iraq but I haven't worked out the details. Certainly the song attacks someone's leadership, and the image of stealing carbon might be an oil thing. I don't think that it's simply about the carbon cycle; that's part of it but wouldn't explain most of the lyrics, or their anger.

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the privilege, of the young, to be angry. It's almost a given. I was angry about communism, sports, food, money and girls. I believe the fact that I wasn't getting enough sex, might have had something to do with it.....

LOL

Angst and anger/hopelessness... basically poor me is usually the cry of the privileged and spoiled. People that don't have usually have a more positive outlook and definitely a better appreciation for what they have even if its a bowl of rice for the day.

Sep 7, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 6
In my humble opinion Modest Mouse was at its best in the late 90s and early 2000 with such amazing albums as Lonesome Crowded West, The Moon & Antarctica and Building Nothing Out of Something. Also, Isaac Brock's solo album under the moniker Ugly Casanova is top notch. These albums shined musically and lyrically compared to the recent album We Were Dead... and Good News for People...

I find the last two albums lyrically and sonically inferior to their amazing back catalogue, however, parting of the sensory does mine their old sound but the repetitive line of stealing carbon drives me to the brink.

Anyhoo, don't mean to be a snob, but if you're fascinated by the new album, then the older albums will surely blow your mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back