Part2.. guitar center (don't shop here), cancelling my order after taking my money
Dec 14, 2006 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

100+ Head-Fier
Original post: [Yesterday, I bought a headphone from Guitar Center b&m, using price match to a website. Then, today, they called saying that they can't do the price match because it's a slightly different model (the only difference is the year it's made). Can they do this after they've taken my money yesterday? I have the receipt of my order. Why didn't they say no yesterday, instead of taking my money first then refusing to sell it.

Any inputs, appreciated.

I would strongly suggest everyone NOT to shop at guitar center. Ridiculously overpriced.]

I haven't had the chance to reply on the original thread since there's one/ more member(s) that go way out of the topic. I hope everyone could take others' words lightly and stay on the topic. C'mon guys, it's my problem.. :wink: or at least for now, who knows in the future.

Ok, and after reading the replies, I have several thoughts.
1. So what, if the headphone is '05 990 that I pm'ed with the 03' 990? Maybe I'm trying to get the best deal possible, it's not my fault if the customer service that charged my card agreed with the price. On the other hand, is it the customer's fault if s/he bought a headphone from guitar center for full price, not knowing that it's overpriced, then after a couple of days s/he tried to do a refund, because s/he made a mistake, but guitar center doesn't allow that. There's NO 30- days money back guarantee, for a headphone. The receipt doesn't say anything about a headphone not included in the 30 day money back guarantee. This's what the manager in guitar center that I visited said. One could only try it for a day. That customer is screwed basically. So, it's fine for them to make mistakes, and not us? I'd really love to hear the facts about this from the legal side. (I hope they won't charge me afterwards, though :wink: )

2. Guitar center allows price match, but it will still likely be more expensive than the web's best price. Tax and shipping. If your web's best price doesn't charge tax, and ship for free you'd save more, but there's NO way you'd save tax in guitar center. Then, in my situation, my customer service, I don't know on purpose or not, told me that I can't have it shipped to guitar center, so that I'll save more money. I asked him twice, if I can have it shipped to that same guitar center b&m store, but twice did he answer no. (And this guy is not new either, I went there in January, and he's the one who assisted me.) And when, I talk to another guy, the next day, this new guy said that I should be able to ship it to that b&m store and save the shipping. It'll ended up faster anyway than paying extra for shipping to me, which actually takes longer to arrive. Go figure.

3. My experience with guitar center has been really UNpleasant. I'd think I deserve better customer service for paying more. On the other hand, buying from the web is way more pleasant. I decided I'm not giving my money to guitar center, and jump on the amazon headphone deal. I paid 2-day shipping for my senn580, and voila I received it the next day, I guess they overnight-ed it! That's what I called a service. I guess Amazon knows better how to treat customers .

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 465 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Original post: [Yesterday, I bought a headphone from Guitar Center b&m, using price match to a website. Then, today, they called saying that they can't do the price match because it's a slightly different model (the only difference is the year it's made). Can they do this after they've taken my money yesterday? I have the receipt of my order. Why didn't they say no yesterday, instead of taking my money first then refusing to sell it.

Any inputs, appreciated.

I would strongly suggest everyone NOT to shop at guitar center. Ridiculously overpriced.]

Did you read their TOS? It explicitly outlines what they feel they can or can not do and what you in turn agreed to by dealing with them. You feel burned, no doubt a warranted feeling, but they did nothing wrong in terms of their commitment to you. Had you read through the contract in full, you would have realized that in the event they can't match and/or there is an error in their system, they are free to change this for their benefit, not yours. This occurred, they did change it, and they are willing to refund you. My advice, get over it and find the phones somewhere else.

Dec 14, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 19
465, what headphones are at issue? One of the points that was made repeatedly yesterday is that for some headphones, a difference in year is not a "slight" difference. For example, 2006 Beyer 770s are NOT the same as prior models. It's like the difference in automobile model years. In some years, differences may be trivial, but in other years, there may be substantial changes in the model and, accordingly, in the price.

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 19
I hope this is considered very on topic. What's the point of another thread and are you just posting your criticism at Guitar Center or do you really expect additional advice not given in your other threads?
blink.gif

Quote:

Any inputs, appreciated.

Quote:

Any inputs, appreciated.

Quote:

Yesterday, I bought a headphone from Guitar Center b&m, using price match to a website. Then, today, they called saying that they can't do the price match because it's a slightly different model (the only difference is the year it's made). Can they do this after they've taken my money yesterday? I have the receipt of my order. Why didn't they say no yesterday, instead of taking my money first then refusing to sell it.
Any inputs, appreciated.

EDIT: The original post of this thread has now been edited.

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

1. So what, if the headphone is '05 990 that I pm'ed with the 03' 990? Maybe I'm trying to get the best deal possible, it's not my fault if the customer service that charged my card agreed with the price.

Ah ha. The difference is that they are not the same headphone. It sounds like what you are trying to do is not to "get the best deal possible," but to defraud GC, and now you're pissed off because they didn't fall for it.

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #7 of 19
While I don't necessarily think you're trying to defraud GC, I do think that basically you're trying to use one products price and projecting it on another. Fact is when GC realized what was happening they canceled your order. Maybe to you that's unfair, but I did read their TOS and it seems well within the bounds. And no I don't necessarily buy into the "customer is always right" ideology.

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:15 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this is considered very on topic. What's the point of another thread and are you just posting your criticism at Guitar Center or do you really expect additional advice not given in your other threads?
blink.gif

I'm not sure I quite understand your question. But I made this thread again because the original was locked, due to off topic discussion. Besides, I haven't replied to the issues that were brought up.

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #9 of 19
Why do you hold on so tightly to a sense of entitlement?

Guitar center owes you nothing, though it is kind of amusing watching you throw one hell of a virtual hissy fit. Are you holding your nose closed and stomping your feet too? Please post a photo if so.

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah ha. The difference is that they are not the same headphone. It sounds like what you are trying to do is not to "get the best deal possible," but to defraud GC, and now you're pissed off because they didn't fall for it.

I didn't say it IS the 05' 990 to the 03' 990. I was merely making an example. (What if)

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you hold on so tightly to a sense of entitlement?

Guitar center owes you nothing, though it is kind of amusing watching you throw one hell of a virtual hissy fit. Are you holding your nose closed and stomping your feet too? Please post a photo if so.

Originally Posted by 3X0
Does it honestly matter? It's obvious that the point of the original poster's discontent is not Guitar Center's refusal to accept the price match. His qualm is precisely aimed at Guitar Center's prompt approval of the price-match purchase--replete with due payment--and their later cancellation of their own word. Essentially, Guitar Center committed an egregious error: they lied to a consumer. They had said they would sell, took the money, but did not sell.

Honestly, why belabor a patent point? It's already obvious that stores have certain specific rights to deny a price-match, and it's not even the point. A poor business practice is the point.

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:32 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

I'm not sure I quite understand your question. But I made this thread again because the original was locked, due to off topic discussion. Besides, I haven't replied to the issues that were brought up.

Sorry to be so basic, but what is the point of just this thread then?

Are you posting your frustration at GC? That's done in your previous threads (closed or not) - and you just reposted the same content in this one originally. Are you looking for legal advice on this issue? Head-Fi likely isn't the best answer for that. Are you looking for moral support for GCs potentially unethical behavior after your questionable ethical behavior? That's going to be a tough one even from us who has tried to pull similar stunts (most recently an incorrectly priced Canon camera in my case). Are you trying to warn us of GCs behavior? Again done in the previous threads.

I believe you've been intentionally vague with the details (and you had time posting multiple times after other threads have been previously closed - and you still have time to state your situation explicitly - strange that there's still doubt on the headphone model), so it's a little confusing (and point 2s above rambling description has me even more so). We know you were trying to get "the best deal." Believe me I'm no supporter of big business (and have a personal issue with GC), but that said I'm still wondering what you're looking for from us?

Dec 14, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

I didn't say it IS the 05' 990 to the 03' 990. I was merely making an example. (What if)

Then which one is it? I find your refusal to answer that simple question quite suspicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back