Parents and audio...
Feb 19, 2005 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

HeadphoneMafia

Head-Fier
So today I confronted by parents about buying a pair of K271's.

They were NOT ecstatic about the idea.

"WHAT!? How can you spend 150 on HEADPHONES?!"

I guess I'll hafta find a way to work around this...
rolleyes.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 45
my parents think the same thing, but they haven't been in a position to do anything about it in a long time. at least my headphone hobby isn't horribly expensive, yet, whereas my mother's (buying clothes, handbags, shoes and furniture) and my dad's (putting together a professional grade home auto shop) are.

Feb 19, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 45
I assume it was your money. Don't know how old you are or what other expenses you have. Better to buy headphones than drugs. $150 for headphones is like buying 10 CD's, do they mind if you buy CD's? It is music, and music is good
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 45
My mom uses SR 60s, and has a far better iPod collection than I do. I'm self-sufficient now, but they did buy me the iPod and ER6is as a gift. My dad's not really an audio buff, but he researches potential purchases more thoroughly than Consumer Reports. I guess I lucked out.

I suggest a counter-ploy: One night, just show up with a couple hookers and an eight-ball; when they object to that, let them know that quality headphones would keep you confined to your room.

EDIT: I see several others beat me to the better of 2 evils argument.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 45
I'm 15, and have been saving my weekly lunch money for over 2 months (15 a week). Thanks for the ideas guys
icon10.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #9 of 45
It's hard to convince some parents to understand that a set of cans that satisfies your listening needs is weel worth the money. If you're using your own money that you have been saving up and also show to your parents that you can be financially responsible at the same time, they may come to accept and understand your hobby. As someone had mentioned earlier, there's a lot worst things you could be spending your money on.

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #10 of 45
My dad was giving me a bit of a talk about my headphones,

Not a lecture because I'm alowed to do what i want. He was more just saying "how can you spend so much on headphones". I just said "well how much did you spend on your speakers?".... the car went silent

$150 for headphones aint bad. headphones means you dont bother your parents with your music. It also means you're not one of the brainless masses who listen to 128kb through stock buds

furthermore, it's your money. $150 can be spent a lot worse

if your folks drink wine, compare that :p then it'll be like "i'm buying an audio item which will last for years, for less than you spend on wine in 2 weeks"

Feb 19, 2005 at 1:15 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
if your folks drink wine, compare that :p then it'll be like "i'm buying an audio item which will last for years, for less than you spend on wine in 2 weeks"

wow...my dad is a really big wine fanatic! My mom even told him he had a certain amount he could spend per month :p

So I'll be using that one
cool.gif

Feb 19, 2005 at 2:22 AM Post #13 of 45
my dad reckons i look like a dork with my porta pros. my mum loves them, she bought some for herself and even got some of her friends to buy them

Feb 19, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #14 of 45
I might be a little unpopular here, but just remember that they are just trying to be responsible parents. At least they care what you are doing.

That said, instead of attacking their financial decisions; they are adults, make more more money, have probably already learned to respect money, and are allowed to spend their money as they see fit (I also assume that your lunch money was given to you by them...). It would be better if you just explained that learning to saving money for something that you really want is a financial lesson. Tell them that if you learn to save for things now, you'll be less likely to depend on credit cards or loans later. I think this is a better plan of attack.

(By the way, I'm not a parent or anything. I just speak as a son who, since moving out to go to school, has learned to respect my parents a little more than I did.)

Feb 19, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #15 of 45
Yeah my parents where a little worried when i bought my e2c's for 80$. I just explained how much i listen to them and how relaxing it is to have them at school.

Can't wait till i try to get my next headphones.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back