Parental issues with the high end headphones?
Apr 8, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #91 of 107
Buying the phones behind you parents' back is probably not a good option and dont use their paypal info. From personal experience, if you keep your parents happy, then they will be more likely to let you purchase what you wish. Btw, Visa giftcards also cost $5 to activate, and their balance decreases after 12 months.

Considering the impressive list of headphones that you've recently gone through, I dont think that it should come as a surprise that your parents wont let you buy more, especially if they dont understand sound quality. Unfortunately at your age you need to learn to make do with what you have (we've all had to to this) and demonstrate that you care about saving money, it'll be good in the long run so you don't recklessly spend your money like many people, even adults, nowadays do. Remember our economy is in the toilet is due to peoples' financial irresponsibility.

If I were you, I would keep your SF4 and enjoy them the best you can. Then, save up money until Christmas or your birthday and tell your parents that all you want are the triple-fi 10, and even offer to pay all for them yourself, or spit the cost. Inform them that you have spent a lot of time researching this purchase, and say how although headphones at local stores might be cheaper, their price does not equal their sq. Hell, you can even say the triple-fi 10 sound better than BOSE, which your parents have probably have heard off.

I still think you should seriously consider saving up for some headphones instead of iems since they aren't fragile and usually give you better bang for the buck. Also there is a fairly good chance that you can get an awesome deal from the for sale forums on headfi. On the go, you're not going to effectively get your max enjoyment/critical listening done anyways. Your $300 could go a long way . . .

Last suggestion, I think you should definitely try to convince your parents to set you up with a bank account. You'll be less likely to part with your cash if you don't physically have it on you, and it'll show your parents that you aren't just going to throw your money away. And who knows, maybe later on you'll be able to set up your own paypall and ebay with it.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #92 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by ffdpmaggot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your serious? I can just send them my money? no account?

Yeah, If you are buying off ebay look at the auctions accepted payment methods section. Alot of sellers accept money orders and if not just ask if they will. Make you send a money order with some sort of delivery confirmation. Don't just send cash in an envelope!

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #93 of 107
that was more or less a general question based on ebay, I didn't think you could do that, of course I have no desire to order them, find out my money was lost in the mail, or I was frauded, and in general I'm concerned about the headphones getting here with my parents home. Either A) they'd get rejected, or B) my parents would blow up.

now as for my impressive list, every pair was within 30 day warranty, so each time I got a new pair (except for the klipsch) I would determine that it was not on pair with what I wanted (or they would break), I would return them, and receive a new pair. Like I said, I pretty much determined the issue and it was that the headphones were single armatures, or even worse, moving coils, so they would hit one spectrum well and another not so much.

I'm also working on the bank account thing, its in progress

As for full size headphones, absolutely not. I take my music EVERYWHERE. I have my laptop and my ipod right next to each other almost all of the time. at home, I have to go do something, I pause, unplug, replug, then walk away and do what I need to do. I use headphones in the car, during my study hall, at lunch, while walking between classes, during homework, while I'm outside shooting hoops, when I'm exercising, when I'm screwing around on the computer, etc. My family can not stand my music so I need sound isolating IEM so there is no "leakage". Point in case, I use my headphones to frequently in too many places for full size headphones, and I do not want to lose my eighty dollars on my SF4

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #94 of 107
Quote:

that was more or less a general question based on ebay, I didn't think you could do that, of course I have no desire to order them, find out my money was lost in the mail, or I was frauded, and in general I'm concerned about the headphones getting here with my parents home. Either A) they'd get rejected, or B) my parents would blow up.

You can always have them shipped to a trusted friends house and keep an eye on the tracking info so you know what day it will arrive. Most of the time the delivery co. won't have you sign for small packages. They will just ring your door bell and leave it there. I've bought many things by M/O on ebay in the past and never lost a M/O in the mail or been frauded.

Apr 8, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #95 of 107
your parents are so not cool man, last year i got jh13s this year hm801 and protector. do you have any rich friends ? if you do go to them ask there rich parents who are awesome b/c there rich and say your parents are punks and wont let you spend your own money ask them if they will buy x for you with cc hand x money over to them x item arrives week later your parents know nothing end of story at least i had a friend who needed a car and my parents loaned him the money for a few months . this will work b/c to rich folk $260 can be used to wipe ass if paper is missing will see this as trivial and will probably help you
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #96 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
your parents are so not cool man, last year i got jh13s this year hm801 and protector. do you have any rich friends ? if you do go to them ask there rich parents who are awesome b/c there rich and say your parents are punks and wont let you spend your own money ask them if they will buy x for you with cc hand x money over to them x item arrives week later your parents know nothing end of story at least i had a friend who needed a car and my parents loaned him the money for a few months . this will work b/c to rich folk $260 can be used to wipe ass if paper is missing will see this as trivial and will probably help you
smily_headphones1.gif

lkzyz89efm_clap.gif

well written. that got a large laugh out of me.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #98 of 107
Quote:

As for full size headphones, absolutely not. I take my music EVERYWHERE. I have my laptop and my ipod right next to each other almost all of the time. at home, I have to go do something, I pause, unplug, replug, then walk away and do what I need to do. I use headphones in the car, during my study hall, at lunch, while walking between classes, during homework, while I'm outside shooting hoops, when I'm exercising, when I'm screwing around on the computer, etc. My family can not stand my music so I need sound isolating IEM so there is no "leakage". Point in case, I use my headphones to frequently in too many places for full size headphones, and I do not want to lose my eighty dollars on my SF4

So you carry your laptop around, but then you have a problem with full sized headphones? I dont get it. If im exercising, working outside, ect, its ipod+iem. If I'm working around the house, its ipod+full size headphones. If im at home sitting down its laptop+headphones. I couldn't imagine carrying my laptop around as an mp3 player, unless it was a netbook or something similar. A full size headphone is way more portable than a laptop. As far as leakage goes, if you get closed cans that wont be a problem.

I think your greatest dilemma is probably the delivery, especially since its quite difficult to anticipate when exactly the package will arrive because more often than not the seller or mail company will f something up. I personally never managed to get around this issue when I younger, and my parents still get pissed when they notice frequent packages.

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #99 of 107
You asked that only people with personal dilemmas similar to yours respond to your query, so here are two stories from my own life that parallel your predicament.

Story 1: When I was fourteen, I decided I needed a television for my bedroom. Two of my close friends had TVs in their bedrooms, and it seemed like a wonderful idea since I usually lost out to my older brothers when fighting over which channel we would watch. I wanted a TV in my bedroom. I wanted it badly. I had my own money from my paper route, and had picked out the perfect model at the local Kmart. Unfortunately, my parents had a house rule that none of us kids could have TVs in our bedrooms. This had been the law of the land since I could remember. Both my mother and father were adamant that I shouldn’t have a TV in my room, that it would destroy my study habits and be a bad influence on me, that it would disturb my brother who shared the bedroom with me. They also didn’t think I needed it.

I couldn’t believe how unfair they were being. I wrote out thirteen pages describing why I needed a TV, why it was imperative that I get one, all the benefits that would accrue, and how I promised I would only watch it after my homework was done and only watch the programs they wanted me to watch. I remember walking downstairs to the dining room table one night bearing my thirteen page treatise, assured I would be victorious, that the power of my logic was indisputable. I put the sheaf of papers down beside my Dad and stood back smugly. He looked at it and asked what it was. I explained it was the reasons why I should be allowed to get a TV in my room. He looked at it, looked at me, said, “No,” took the papers to the trash, and tossed them in without reading a single one. I didn’t get the TV that year, or the next, or the next. Finally, five days after I turned eighteen, I went to the store and picked up a very nice portable B&W TV and left it on my father’s spot at the table. He walked in, saw the box, looked at me standing smugly beside it, and said, “You don’t need it.”

Story 2: The summer I was fourteen, a couple of friends and I bummed around in the desert where I grew up. They had BB guns which we all used to shoot at most everything that moved—pity the poor lizards that crossed our paths. One of these friends got a pump pellet gun that blew the BB guns out of the water. Unfortunately, on one of the occasions that these two friends were together and I wasn’t there, friend “A” was careless and shot off his little toe while walking with the gun. Friend “B”’s dad wasn’t happy with the whole thing and made friend “B” start working in his metal shop rather than bumming around with us. Friend “A” and I didn’t get along as well together without “B” there, so the desert BB gun group ceased to function.

But I wanted a BB gun. I wanted it badly. Unfortunately, the law of the house had always been that we couldn’t have a BB gun because we might shoot someone’s eye out with it. But I wanted one. I figured out a plan whereby I would buy the BB gun at the Kmart and another friend, we’ll call him “C,” would keep it for me at his house. We could then get together, go out to the desert, and shoot to our hearts content. It worked well for a couple of days until my friend started feeling guilty and gave the gun to my mother. She was livid. The gun went back to Kmart. I got lectured soundly by both my mother and my father—and our relationship was never quite the same afterwards. My friendship with “C” didn’t survive the tension caused by the incident.

Epilog: I still have the TV I bought as an eighteen year old. It won’t work now that the analog broadcast signal has been shut off, but it serves to remind me of the TV incident. What happened there? I turned getting the TV into a power play between myself and my parents. It was a power play they knew they couldn’t afford to lose, so I didn’t get the set. They were right. They let me get lots of other things. I had a nice Marantz stereo with three way floor speakers, and anti-resonant Kenwood turntable, a Panasonic head set, and a modular synthesizer by the time I graduated from high school, all bought with my own money and with their permission.

My friend “B” above who obeyed his dad’s wishes and went to work for him after the pellet gun incident grew his father’s metal working shop into one of the largest metal fabricators in the US. He’s built one of the icons you see every time the Las Vegas strip is shown, as well as a major league baseball stadium and the convention center in a top 10 US city. One of my relatives works for him. As I mentioned above, the incident with the BB gun destroyed one of my friendships, something I still feel a bit guilty about today.

I learned that greed is a powerful force in my life and is something which must be controlled. It can drive you to do things you regret later if you give it control. It doesn’t bring happiness, and the stuff that you buy doesn’t bring lasting happiness either. Good relationships are far more important. I’m happy to say that all these years later, my parents and I can laugh about these incidents. That’s incredibly more important than things.

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #101 of 107
until you can get them without your parentals on your back i suggest you avoid head-fi at all costs! i enjoy my setups alot more when im not reading head-fi at the same time :p

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #103 of 107
there is something in this world call prepaid (visa/master) gift card. you can add them to paypal as a debit/credit card. they are sold in almost every supermarket. used to do online shopping with these many years ago... they used charge much much more fees...

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #104 of 107
Wait for an epic timing ?

Like for me, that was one of the reason why I have not gotten a customs although I am an iem lover.
Hopefully, sometime good will happen next month, like acceptance into university(I just graduated from Pre-uni)
ah, then I will have a very good reason to buy ~2ksgd customs.

Of course, will be telling them it cost around $1k+ =X

but yeah, all my audio purchase since I started till now are all saved up.
Not to mention I have been creating cables and IC and lod for sales
smily_headphones1.gif

Develop entrephenurship.. electronic skills, so yeah, a good hobby and profiting hobby which i am interested in. parents quite happy
smily_headphones1.gif

"Luckily I have been working part time since last year dec, got moneh for home rig and jh16 !!!"
"Lol at my friends who were rotting everyday before national service"

We need a rating system.

KOSS KSC75 - nil
Denon D1001 - PG
AKG k701 - M18
hd800 R21
erm.. lol

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #105 of 107
Shaggy, I think you don't understand. I have my laptop in a backpack because it weighs eight pounds. Its only when I'm using my laptop that I have my ipod next to it. i thought that would be pretty obvious. Also I have no desire to have both IEM and headphones, I actually, you know, THINK about purchases, read reviews (unless I'm at best buy surrounded by "Xtra Bass" headphones).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back