Parasound or Emotiva w/ KEF LS50
Apr 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

wgb113

100+ Head-Fier
I don't have experience with either brand and was looking for feedback from those of you with one, the other, or both.

The KEFs are slightly inefficient and spend a lot of time below 6 ohms. 

That said, my room is small : 10'W x 12'L x 9'H.

I'd like to keep it under $1000 so I was considering the Halo A23 and XPA-2 or even XPA-200.

My only requirement is balanced inputs.

Bill

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM Post #3 of 12
I own the A21 and have heard the A23 with my set up, I have been pretty pleased with their sound. I got them d/t Maggie's high current demand. That being said I'm sure the emotiva options will sound great also.

I'd also look into odyssey audio stratos mono or stereo, I was also very pleased with these options and are cheaper than A21.

Peach tree Nova125 was also pretty amazing.

Sep 21, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 12
The Schiit ragnarok is said to drive these speakers very well. Seems appropriate especially for a smaller room. Plus would have a very nice SE or balanced headphone out as well. Would be almost double the $1000 though plus tax, shipping etc.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #8 of 12
It's very hard to beat the A21 with any set of speakers.  It makes my LS50's sound superb as well as my Magnestand 1.6's ("Gunned Maggies").  Though... I like my JC-1's even better, the A21 is a very close second.  Almost no amp in the A21's price range can equal it.  This is in part, because it operates in pure class A for the first 10 watts, or so - which means it really excels with efficient speakers.  

However... as much as I like the LS50's... I like my Wavetouch Audio Grand Teton monitors even more.  There are very few speakers at any price or size that can best the Grand Tetons - certainly for less than $20K.  

The Grand Tetons are very efficient and can be driven with lower powered tube amps, as well as the A21.  And... a big plus... you can drive the Grand Tetons with only a passive pre-amp and the A21 - which produces absolutely "pristine" sound quality.  Just imagine... the dynamics, tone, tenor, texture, clarity and resolution of Grados... but... with life-like soundstage and imaging.

For my money... I'd get the A21 and the Grand Tetons - you will be amazed!  Your search for "audio nirvana" will be over.  And... there is no risk - if you don't agree you can return the Grand Tetons for a full refund.  But... you won't!  Guar-un-teed!

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 12
  It's very hard to beat the A21 with any set of speakers.  It makes my LS50's sound superb as well as my Magnestand 1.6's ("Gunned Maggies").  Though... I like my JC-1's even better, the A21 is a very close second.  Almost no amp in the A21's price range can equal it.  This is in part, because it operates in pure class A for the first 10 watts, or so - which means it really excels with efficient speakers.  

However... as much as I like the LS50's... I like my Wavetouch Audio Grand Teton monitors even more.  There are very few speakers at any price or size that can best the Grand Tetons - certainly for less than $20K.  

The Grand Tetons are very efficient and can be driven with lower powered tube amps, as well as the A21.  And... a big plus... you can drive the Grand Tetons with only a passive pre-amp and the A21 - which produces absolutely "pristine" sound quality.  Just imagine... the dynamics, tone, tenor, texture, clarity and resolution of Grados... but... with life-like soundstage and imaging.

For my money... I'd get the A21 and the Grand Tetons - you will be amazed!  Your search for "audio nirvana" will be over.  And... there is no risk - if you don't agree you can return the Grand Tetons for a full refund.  But... you won't!  Guar-un-teed!

Would you happen to know how the Joseph Audio Pulsar compares to the LS50 & Grand Teton?

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #10 of 12
Haven't heard the Pulsars... but... the Grand Tetons sound as good, or better than all my other speakers (i.e.  LaHave Melas, LS50's, Emerald Physics 2.3's, Magnestand 1.6's (Gunned Maggies), dc10Audio Berlin R's (Studio Monitors)... and... other's have reported they sound as good, or better than, their Wilsons, Tannoys, Quads, Harbeths, Nolas, Avantgarde's, MSB's, Acoustat's, Sonus Fabers, Apogee's, Vienna Acoutics, Magico's, etc.

I know... despite the fact I have some other really great speakers... I seem to gravitate to the Grand Tetons for most of my listening - they just do everything right (and maybe a bit better - without significant weaknesses).  

Try them... and see for yourself - they have a 50 day money-back guarantee.  You'll be amazed.  

Nov 7, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #12 of 12
OK... I did hear some Pulsars... and... I'd say the Grand Teton's will "give them a run for their money."  

But... if you can find... some Pulsars for $4000 (the price in your ad and a good price), then I'd be tempted to get them.  Just because they do look gorgeous and sound great too.  

Here's some not too far away from you for $5300 - http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649154830-joseph-audio-pulsars-with-sound-anchor-stands/

However, I'm not sure I'd want such expensive speakers at college, unless I had a private apartment, which was very secure... and... could be sure they'd never be damaged by my guests!  I wouldn't spend much on anything in a college environment, otherwise!

The Grand Tetons will very likely sound as good (with good electronics), and cost much less.  Here's some for $1600 (which you might be able to get for less):  http://app.audiogon.com/listings/monitors-thanksgiving-sale-20-0ff-grand-teton-gen-2-make-this-years-thanksgiving-2014-11-07-speakers-90015-los-angeles-ca .  

But... the same caution goes for them re: the security of your environment - though, you have much less at risk.  And... they require a bit of room to accomodate their phase plugs, which project 8" in front of the speakers.  They're not as pretty as the Pulsars... but... they will rival their sound.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back