Paradigm Atoms, Infinity Primus 150, OR something else?
Jul 8, 2006 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for bookshelf speakers to buy in the next couple of days. I have it narrowed down these...in order of what I am leaning towards.

1. Infinity Primus 150 ~$120
2. Used Paradigm Atoms $150
3. Polk R15 ~$80
4. Polk Audio Monitor 30 ~$200

Opinions?

-Wyatt

Jul 10, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #2 of 8
Of your list, I've only personally heard the Paradigm Atoms and the Polks. I preferred the Paradigms, they seemed to be more neutral and natural sounding than the Polks, which were a bit warmer.

For just a little more you might be able to find some Paradigm Mini Monitors, they are a significant step up. I think I saw some on Audiogon recently for not much more (if more) than the speakers you've listed.

good listening,
Andrew

Jul 11, 2006 at 1:37 AM Post #3 of 8
I recently went to a dealer to audition the Paradigm Atoms, Mini-Monitors, and the Studio 20s, and for me at least, each step up resulted in a sizable upgrade. So if you can find a pair of Mini-Monitors fairly cheaply, I'd suggest you go with those.

Jul 11, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
I recently went to a dealer to audition the Paradigm Atoms, Mini-Monitors, and the Studio 20s, and for me at least, each step up resulted in a sizable upgrade. So if you can find a pair of Mini-Monitors fairly cheaply, I'd suggest you go with those.

Thank you for the recommendations. I looked and found some in my price range. My B-day is coming up and these will make a great gift.
icon10.gif

Jul 11, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 8
acoustic research stature series, s10, s20, s40, s50. my favorite speakers. if you can find any usedits worth a deal.

if you can spend $200, it would makes more sense to jump straight to the onyx x-ls.

Jul 11, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 8
I second the Paradigm Atoms reccomendation (check my profile to see what speakers I have
biggrin.gif
)

I remember when looking for speakers that Infitiny had some nice speakers (IL 10's if I remember well), they sounded very nice and comparable to Paradigm Titans, but at about 3x the cost.

Jul 11, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 8
The Polk R15's are not very good at all.

Both the Paradigms and the Infinity's have recieved very good reviews at Stereophile; But I bet you would be able to find the Infinity's to be cheaper than the Paradigms.

From the reviews I've read, the Paradigms have an edge over the Infinity's in midbass and warmth, whereas the Infinity's have an edge over the upper frequency range detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back