Paper or Plastic?
Mar 6, 2006 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

omedon

500+ Head-Fier
What do you folks prefer? Jewel Cases or Digipaks?

Myself I am very fond of the digipaks. They are much lighter, don't crack or shatter, and most importantly feel good in my hands.

Mar 6, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #2 of 18
Depends really

some digipaks are really annoying, like my copy of Atrox - Orgasm on SPV Records and my copy of Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell and Tristania - Ashes on Scarecrow Records where the booklet just falls out pretty much every time you pick it up, but my copy of Autumn Tears - Eclipse is very well done with the lyrics/writing actually on the digipak, my copies of Kamelot - The Black Halo (Ltd Edition) and the Edenbridge digipaks i have of Arcana and Shine are fine as well.

Jewel Cases are annoying if you drop them etc.

Mar 6, 2006 at 9:30 AM Post #4 of 18
I like digi packs for the feel and they tend to be more unique album artwork than the standard jewel case. Sigur Ros's Takk for example...beautiful digipack

but i hate them when they just have a cardboard envelope to keep the cd in, cause it scratches it! and really, thats the whole point of a case, to keep the cd safe.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 18
Jewel case, they give a satisfying clack when shelved.
very_evil_smiley.gif

I am serious.

Mar 6, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 18
I used to hate! jewel cases because of the space they took up and how hard it was to store them for quick reference in my room, but now that I have an ipod and digital music library on my computer I adore them for the protection they give my valued cds.

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 18
plastic case. cardboard is fine until you have to touch it/open it a few times, it picture always rubs off and the spines crack.

Plastics last FORVEVER! (anybody else remember that commercial?)

Mar 6, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 18
I actually learned that from watching Captain Planet about 13 years ago.

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 18
I love digipaks. Like others have said, they have great artwork, they feel better, and you can't really break them or get fingerprints on them. I'm such a sucker for them that I've been known to buy albums merely because they have nice-looking, lovely cardboard cases. I don't have wear-and-tear issues because I don't handle the CDs very much.

Mar 6, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 18
I prefer the digipacks as they have better/more continuous artwork typically, and don't crack like my normal jewel cases :p

Mar 7, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 18
As I take reasonably good care of my CDs, so it's digipaks for me. I'm dismay by those crumbled and flayed digipaks that I often seen in the used market though.

I'm less enthusasic than those "less-than-digipak" packaging though: the kind that look like a small book, big colorful photos, with a cardboard envelope for the CD. If you keep it in its original package the CD always end up scratched -- you'll have to find it a jewel home, and that defeats the purpose of minimal packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back