Pansonic HJE900 vs Head-Direct RE0
Nov 20, 2009 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

icebird144

New Head-Fier
Does anyone have listen to both of these headphones? If so, how do they compare?

I'm interested in the following category:
1) Build Quality
2) Sound Isolation
3) Overall Sound Quality
4) The "gift" factor (I'm buying it as a gift)

The price is not that important to me :p

Thanks in advance!

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 4
I own both, the build quality of the HJE900 is far better. Use a hammer on them, they'll continue to work. They are the toughest phones I've ever owned.
Isolation of the RE0 is better.
Both have good sound quality. RE0 need an amp to shine imo. Overall, I think the HJE900 is superior, better timbre, bass quality, musicality whilst retaining detail. RE0 seem a touch brighter than many phones I've tried, maybe towards the Ety sound if memory serves me right. I've previously owned the Etymotic ER4P (S adapter) and the Shure SE530 and the Sleek Audio SA6 which I found were a touch too warm for my liking. The Panasonic has a better quality bass to the SA6 too. The Panasonic to my ears is a 'half way house' between the Ety sound and the Shure SE530 sound. Not bright or dark/muddy, if that makes sense. I'd say the Panasonics do indeed benefit from a decent burn in. Treble improves noticeably. Also, I took off the filters.

Lastly, I'd choose the Panasonic over the RE0 for the 'gift' factor due to the much superior packaging. It looks like a jewellery box, with a practical carry case. The RE0 case is very basic, no wow factor there.

The Panasonics are more expensive but will last a long time. If the cable was to give way, you can replace it, as the cable is replaceable, with a similar design to the Sleek Audio.

To benefit from the Panasonics, a change of tips would be required to get a good seal. The comply T400 or any double flange tip will improve the seal and isolation.

Personally, I like both phones thus far. Keepers.

Nov 21, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #3 of 4
i'd agree with the HJE900s as better just for the name brand factor. If you are giving a gift to a non-head-fi'er, you want to pick a brand people would feel comfortable with.

Nov 28, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by kojebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lastly, I'd choose the Panasonic over the RE0 for the 'gift' factor due to the much superior packaging. It looks like a jewellery box, with a practical carry case. The RE0 case is very basic, no wow factor there.

Sorry to disappoint you (AND myself
frown.gif
), I went ahead with the Panasonic from JR, which cost me 129.99 + 50 shipping and tax to Canada. When I opened the package, it was in a PAPER/PLASTIC box!!! And when I check the contents, instead of a carrying CASE, they give me the carrying POUCH...
Panasonic USA
angry_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back