Pandora's music quality?
Nov 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bassix

100+ Head-Fier
What is the bit rate on the music that's on Pandora? Just curious because I've been listening to it quite often to expand my musical knowledge.

All the best <3

Nov 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #2 of 13
i used to run it on premium, i believe the default bit rate is 64kps and the premium account goes up to 192kps

if your looking for a higher sound quality stream site i would look into mog. 5$ a month with supposedly 320kps, only problem is its random suggestion feature is not as good as pandoras but it lets you play specific albums as opposed to being all random. Spotify is another good one though i have never used it

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:
i used to run it on premium, i believe the default bit rate is 64kps and the premium account goes up to 192kps

if your looking for a higher sound quality stream site i would look into mog. 5$ a month with supposedly 320kps, only problem is its random suggestion feature is not as good as pandoras but it lets you play specific albums as opposed to being all random. Spotify is another good one though i have never used it

64kps?
confused_face.gif
I'm not quite sure that's believable since the quality doesn't sound that bad at all. Do you have a source?

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #4 of 13

Can you record the music like on Tunein Radio?

Nov 2, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #5 of 13
http://help.pandora.com/customer/portal/articles/90985-audio-quality

No on recording, if you get the 10$ membership though you can download as many tracks as you want to a smartphone/newer gen ipod as long as you connect to the internet once  a month to verify subscription.

Nov 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 13
Nov 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 13
If you stay un connected to the internet you could keep them for 30 days after your last bill. But after 30 days of being unconnected to the internet it makes you connect to verify membership

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:
64kps?
confused_face.gif
I'm not quite sure that's believable since the quality doesn't sound that bad at all. Do you have a source?

it sounds pretty bad to me. yes, it is 64kbps AAC+ premium is 192k mp3, which sounds pretty transparent to my ears. as far as i know only your computer can get 192k with premium, phones still receive a lower bitrate unfortunately.

MOG is 320k and i have been very happy with their quality, spotify is 160k OGG free, which is pretty close to transparent. MOG and spotify aren't as good for music discovery as pandora unfortunately.

another one to look into is slacker radio, 128k mp3, but it's free and sounds better than 64k AAC+ IMO. still, nothing seems to beat pandora's "music genome" or whatever it is they call it.

Dec 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 13
Reviving an old thread, yeah

Just discovered Pandora through a friend today, I find it very hard to believe the sound quality would be 64kbps only. It sounds very good even through my better gear (listening through studio monitors as im typing)

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #10 of 13
You guys are either deaf or too easily forgetful of how much is SUPPOSED to sound. I just checked out pandora today to see what all the hype was about. Immediately was greeted by very bad audio quality music. Very obvious in drums, strings, etc. You guys probabaly just need to compare it to the real deal and it will be as obvious as night and day even with crap speakers. I don't know why so many people use Pandora. 

Apr 15, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #11 of 13
  You guys are either deaf or too easily forgetful of how much is SUPPOSED to sound. I just checked out pandora today to see what all the hype was about. Immediately was greeted by very bad audio quality music. Very obvious in drums, strings, etc. You guys probabaly just need to compare it to the real deal and it will be as obvious as night and day even with crap speakers. I don't know why so many people use Pandora. 

You revived a thread from 2012 to tell us that? Most of these posters' accounts aren't even active anymore; they're not going to come around to your point of view if they never see it.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #13 of 13
My wife and I share a Spotify account but I tend to lose the battle to her when it comes to sharing so I'm always ending up listening to Pandora.. I may opt for the One subscription and see if the quality is any different. 

I'll have to agree with Headzone above though, Pandora quality isn't 'incredible' but for being "64kbps AAC+" it sounds damn good. 

When listening to Spotify I tend to listen to a lot of the radio stations and find I appreciate the unlimited skip feature because it sucks royally compared to Pandora. I rarely skip anything on Pandora... not to say I'm a fanboy because I enjoy both equally but when listening to Pandora I tend to only be wishing for more quality and not much else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back