Pandora stops internet streams from outside US
May 3, 2007 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

digitalmind

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm sure most of you know Pandora. Pandora is an internet radio that you can tweak to your favorite artists, after which it plays related music. It has helped me find a lot of new music that I like, and I used to listen to it quite often. I was saddened when I received this mail today:

Quote:

Dear Pandora listener,

Today we have some extremely disappointing news to share with you. Due to international licensing constraints, we are deeply, deeply sorry to say that we must begin proactively preventing access to Pandora's streaming service for most countries outside of the U.S.

It is difficult to convey just how disappointing this is for us. Our vision remains to eventually make Pandora a truly global service, but for the time being, we can no longer continue as we have been. As a small company, the best chance we have of realizing our dream of Pandora all around the world is to grow as the licensing landscape allows.

We show your IP address is 'XX.XXX.XX.XXX', which indicates you are listening from Netherlands. If you believe you are seeing this by mistake, we offer our sincere apologies and ask that you please reply to this email.

Delivery of Pandora is based on proper licensing from the people who created the music - we have always believed in honoring the guidelines as determined by legislators and regulators, artists and songwriters, and the labels and publishers they work with. In the U.S. there is a federal statute that provides this license for all the music streamed on Pandora. Unfortunately, there is no equivalent license outside the U.S. and there is no global licensing organization to enable us to legitimately offer Pandora around the world. Other than in the U.K., we have not yet been able to make significant progress in our efforts to obtain a sufficient number of international licenses at terms that would enable us to run a viable business. The volume of listening on Pandora makes it a very expensive service to run. Streaming costs are very high, and since our inception, we have been making publishing and performance royalty payments for every song we play.

Until now, we have not been able to tell where a listener is based, relying only on zip code information provided upon registration. We are now able to recognize a listener's country of origin based on the IP address from which they are accessing the service. Consequently, on May 3rd, we will begin blocking access to Pandora to listeners from your country. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We will be posting updates on our blog regarding our ongoing effort to launch in other countries, so please stay in touch. We will keep a record of your existing stations and bookmarked artists and songs, so that when we are able to launch in your country, they will be waiting for you. We deeply share your sense of disappointment and greatly appreciate your understanding.

-Tim Westergren
(Pandora founder)

At the moment it is still playing, but I expect it to stop today. I hope that I can still access it through a US-based proxy without consequences for the quality of the stream. Also, since I registered here in Holland, I might have to re-register through a proxy in order to get a registration "from" the US. If this is even possible, of course.

frown.gif

May 3, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 21
That saddens me to hear this. I owe Pandora for getting me through my final exams last year, while my iPod was down for the count. It's a great service, so I hope you find a good connection to a U.S. proxy.

May 4, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 21
Wow... I'm late to discover this. This is a great service, too bad I'm in Canada.

Not sure if there are any fast proxies that can handle the streaming audio, unless you run your own proxy.

May 4, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 21
I don't use Pandora, but out of sheer curiosity I fired up Tor and cycled it until I got a US-based IP.

In the process I got a few german IPs that were refused access, and I did once get a "you appear to be using an anonymous proxy" message.
But when I cycled Tor again, I got this rather more stupid one:

blink.gif

May 4, 2007 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 21
Anonymous proxies are giving me a "We are having technical difficulties" error. However, that is in the flash based applet, so it might be working but just that they really are having difficulties. I'll try Tor tonight, thanks for the tip.

May 4, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #8 of 21
RIAA really, really sucks don't they?

May 4, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

we have always believed in honoring the guidelines as determined by legislators and regulators, artists and songwriters, and the labels and publishers they work with

And here lies their problem.
No US-based organization or firm can hope to promote music online without the music cartels interfering in a thousand idiotic ways.

May 5, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #11 of 21
Re. Canada:

Quote:

It's hard to think of anything more anathema to who we are than turning off someone's radio, but the current legal realities leave us no choice. While the DMCA provides us a blanket license in the U.S., there is no equivalent in other countries. After a year of work, only the UK and Canada have shown enough progress for us to feel comfortable allowing continued access.

From http://blog.pandora.com/pandora/

May 5, 2007 at 8:41 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallingwater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about moving the servers in one of the many countries where US law doesn't mean a thing?

Pandora is made by music fans who do want to pay for the music they broadcast. So moving it to somewhere else would only work against the whole idea of Pandora, and would move it into a very grey area of what's legal and what isn't.

May 5, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #15 of 21
Nobody's saying people can't pay for the music anymore. They should leave the service exactly as it is, but relocate the servers to one of those places where nobody cares about the RIAA. This would instantly rid them of music-cartel-related complications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back