PANDORA (open source console)
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #16 of 30
I dropped out the preordering because I need the money. But maybe I'll get one but I'll wait to see just how powerful it is, or if the Everun Note will get cheaper I'll get that instead.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Dec 20, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #19 of 30
It is mentioned that there will be extra space to solder things on the mainboard, but it will be extremely tight in the case with no much space for anything else. The cpu, ram, and graphic card is going to be all compressed into one chip. I really don't know abou the warrenty policy of modifying the hardwares, but some people are planning to do it.

here is another video update.

Dec 20, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #20 of 30
Anything opensoruce is always better than its counterparts

Dec 21, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #22 of 30
You might have chance to get by the first shipment if you sign up the the mail list. I heard that they have an extra 200-300 preorder slots due to people dropping out. There are lots of skeptics about the project though.

Dec 24, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #23 of 30
holy smokes you got my attention. i think i may have to get one of these. trying to figure out exactly how big it will be. gonna have to wait until it's out for a bit though. hopefully, considering the nature of projects like these, that will be less than a year

Jan 7, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #24 of 30
I'm really glad to see the Pandora made its way over to Head-Fi. I've been following this thing since the beginning and can't way for it to come out. From SNES to PSX to DOS, emulation on this thing is going to be amazing (they've got Warcraft 2 running just fine via DOSBOX!). And it can function as a UMPC to boot! If everything goes to plan it seems it should be in our hands some time next month (though we should finally see a completely assembled, fully functioning prototype this month!).

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #25 of 30
if we haven't even seen a real prototype yet, then i think it's a bit optimistic to think they can go from proto to in-your-hands in a month..........typical open source project with typical delays

i'm floored, though i'm recieving my new iphone today so i think this gadget will have to be put off a bit; i'll say to let it get flushed out : ) i'm not a beta tester anyway

but damn, how cool. the keyboard, and especially the analog sticks are just gangbusters. it's the kind of simple logical engineering that somehow evades commercial businesses doing the same thing. i'm most excited about psx since i stopped gaming for a long time during those years

Jan 7, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #26 of 30
Will you be able to drive a out board USB drive with this unit?

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #28 of 30
I've been interested in this for a very long time, as a replacement for my current 'second device', a Nokia n800. I figure, with this and my smartphone, I probably wouldn't even have to carry any other electronics on a regular basis. I currently do that usually with my n800, but that's been mostly relegated to reading eBooks on lately. Having a great gaming console that could also do what my n800 does would be awesome for me. That being said, I'll probably be getting a new phone first, the Pre has really caught my eye.

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #29 of 30
The first completed Pandora prototype (FDM) has been made:

YouTube - Pandora prototype in action

A few things to keep in mind before viewing the video:

Quote:

It is FDM, so it doesn't look very good. The final one will be smooth and shiny.
There is no battery in it, so when he digs in to press buttons the battery door creaks (because it's FDM)
The keypad doesn't have the final coating so they aren't raised, so he has to press harder for them to work
All the controls work, but the PSX emulator build doesn't support them at the moment. This will be fixed before release.
(other things)

The more polished CNC case will be ordered on Monday. These are the latest renders of what the final product should hopefully look like:

http://www.gp32x.de/sneak3.jpg
http://www.gp32x.de/sneak4.jpg

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #30 of 30
doesn't surprise me about all the delays. folks were saying it would available in a few months when they didn't even have all the parts together yet.

i'm excited about this, but i think those that pre-ordered would be expecting a little more speed

it's always the same with these little independant products; great idea, but they don't have the organization or resources of a big company; and so, i really wouldn't put all your eggs in this basket until it actually ships and gets reviewed, and i wouldn't surprised if it takes another 6 months. i think it will be a year before the thing is actually worth buying for most folks, it's going to take at least that long to polish things out and work out bugs

it looks wonderful, and i'm stoked about it, but intentions and actuality are two different things. i've seen projects like this get dumped even this late in the game, because of some small issue they didn't plan for, some part they can't get, any innumerable number of things can and will go wrong.

don't get me wrong; i don't think that will be the pandora's fate; it's a great idea for a device, and they've come a long way. i think they need to be a bit more honest about the timetable of completion though, and i think they need to put the pedal down a bit; they've been working a long time, and you never know what big company could copy your idea, and drum out a device in a quarter of the time it takes this small company to make it

still, i think it's a wonderful idea, i just hope it gets fleshed out, working, shipped, de-bugged and in wide-use before it becomes obsolete; that can happen pretty damn fast in this industry

the renderings look fantastic, but one thing i've learned in this industry, is that there is a great divide between concept and execution; but i wish it all the best and i can definitely see myself owning one in a year or so, after it's (hopefully) been out for awhile, and has been debugged a bit

until then, my iphone is real, actually works, and isn't just a dream

(btw: if you want my advice, forget the palm pre, it's gonna tank. it can't compete with iphone and android, and the OS is very restrictive)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back