Pandemic Has Made Me Love My HD-650's Even More-If That Was Possible ;)
Mar 26, 2020 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Jazz1

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I was wondering if Head-Fi folk were re-discovering old headphones given our current work from home situation? For me the light weight of the HD-650 and non-fatiguing sound really work for me during all day sessions in front of the computer.

So, share your rediscovery finds with the rest of us who are riding out the storm. Are there any great sounding headphones with built-in microphones that would particularly good for video teleconferencing? I'm not a gamer so this might be a silly question for those there are into that. If this self imposed isolation continues maybe I will indeed become a gamer:gs1000smile:

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #3 of 14
I also just replaced the old ear pads, and have the headband pad replacement on the way. I should have done all this sooner, but staying at home during the Pandemic makes me appreciate my headphones even more!

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #5 of 14
The HD 650 in my opinion sounds extra good with old vintage recordings. Great for listening to the classics or that old obscure album that most people don’t know about. Very comfortable headphone too which is nice for pandemic relaxation.

Mar 31, 2020 at 9:11 PM Post #8 of 14
The HD 650 in my opinion sounds extra good with old vintage recordings. Great for listening to the classics or that old obscure album that most people don’t know about. Very comfortable headphone too which is nice for pandemic relaxation.
I noticed that as well. I found the 650 brings out the mids for classic rock recordings to sound right. I would listen to mainly vocals, acoustic, classic rock with them. I prefer something else for electronica though. The high-hats is not strong enough bite, and the 600 does better with the metal instrumental bite for jazz, etc..

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 14
I noticed that as well. I found the 650 brings out the mids for classic rock recordings to sound right. I would listen to mainly vocals, acoustic, classic rock with them. I prefer something else for electronica though.
In terms of electronic music, I like the 6xx/650 for vocal trance, though they are crap-tier for hardstyle/hardcore because they don't reproduce that type of synthetic bass well at all. But that is what's nice about having multiple headphones :)

I usually use the 6xx for rock/metal though so I get where you guys are coming from.

Mar 31, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #10 of 14
In terms of electronic music, I like the 6xx/650 for vocal trance, though they are crap-tier for hardstyle/hardcore because they don't reproduce that type of synthetic bass well at all. But that is what's nice about having multiple headphones :)

I usually use the 6xx for rock/metal though so I get where you guys are coming from.
Electronic with vocals I can understand. Anything with vocals mixed in, but if the electronic has no vocals, I prefer something airy sounding with some bite to the treble since vocals can sound harsh or shrill if there is too much emphasis in the lower treble. 650 doesn't have the harshness is the reason why vocals sound so smooth.

I like speed with electronic so lean sounding headphone works well since lean sounds faster generally, but has to have decent amount of bass, but fast bass. Not slow kind that works for hip-hop.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #12 of 14
Personally I’m enjoying this year. I feel more relaxed going out. I don’t dress up and I’m wearing sloppy sweatpants and sloppy clothes. Dressing up like a slob ......BUT....Super comfortable though ! I figure if I’m wearing a mask, who cares how I look?

Dec 9, 2020 at 3:56 AM Post #13 of 14
Is it because the 650 bring up the mids of old recordings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back