Panda amp
Nov 10, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 40
I should have said I have no idea about any circuit. I have only built one amp and it is the Super Simple 6DJ8 and to be honest I don't know how it works, I just know how to put them together. I guess I am in the same boat as you now as this has piqued my interest. I hope somebody with more knowledge chimes in.

Nov 11, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #6 of 40
Nice build Claus-DK, maybe except... you really need to drill an other hole for power cord, in opposed corner (low on inside pic) and replace power cable
smile_phones.gif

PCB is very smart, with sensitivity input stage on one side and power supply on other side, heatsink work like shield between. In your box long power cable go close to pot, this is not good. You can run it short and in power supply side.

What material you use for enclosure? Is it floor parquet or something els? I like wood.

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 40

Quote:
Nice build Claus-DK, maybe except... you really need to drill an other hole for power cord, in opposed corner (low on inside pic) and replace power cable
smile_phones.gif

PCB is very smart, with sensitivity input stage on one side and power supply on other side, heatsink work like shield between. In your box long power cable go close to pot, this is not good. You can run it short and in power supply side.

What material you use for enclosure? Is it floor parquet or something els? I like wood.

Thanks for the kind words, I will make the powercord on the opposite side in the next one or move the toroid and pcb around so that the toroid is close to the back of the box..

This is a picture of the unfinished box

Notice this one has feets..

The material is indeed floor parquet, the only tools used are a drill, a saw, sandpaper and a truck load of glue..

BTW are you Zigis from Zigis soundlab ??

Nov 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
Very very nice build! What are your impressions? What other amps have you heard how would you say it compares? So many questions. I'm intrigued. 

Thanks, my former favorite amp was my Xcan V8 closely followed by the fully modded V2, so it is up there with some very nice amps, it crushes my portables D10, Headsix, ALO recept, so it is a real bargin of an amp..

It has lots of power I use one for driving my Ergo AMT and the pot seldom travels past 12, the dark one is for "normal"  headphones and has an ouput resistor mounted..

Ask away..

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 40

Quote:
BTW are you Zigis from Zigis soundlab ??

Yes, it's me
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you use output resistor, because too much gain? If so, amps output impedance raises too, it is not too good for sound.
You can decrease gain in better way, install resistors between input socket and pot with resistance x3 or x4 of pot resistance (105-200K with 50K pot).This way you increase input resistance too, this is good for source and interconnect more easy loading.

Nov 12, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 40
Wow, you make very nice amps..

To be honest I do not know why they are there, I just read on another site that it was better for the SQ also, but I am not so sure I think it is better.....It also prevents me from blowing up my cans...
I will try it without and see if I can reach any conclusion..

At the moment I mainly use one without resistors feeding my Ergos (the new toy)..

Anyhow it is a very good amp. which I can only recommend, one has to be able to solder and have a multimeter.. (I know you solder quite nicely)..
There is a thread here http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=m&thread=5700&page=1 , your inputs will be valued
beerchug.gif

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:14 AM Post #12 of 40
There are also two other threads, such as: 

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=m&action=display&thread=5931

http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=m&action=display&thread=6047

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #15 of 40
That's a beautiful-looking circuit (aesthetically, no idea about how well it works).
A few questions: what's the stock gain? How does it sound?
This is suddenly looking like a very viable project, oh dear...
£50 for amp parts+shipping, ~£30 for transformer and shipping, ~£10 for wires and connectors. Also a box. Gonna be around £100+ then, which isn't bad if it's a quality product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back