Panavise Options?
Nov 24, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 13
The panavise JR or whatever its called is handy at holding cables and larger parts. It can hold a decent size pcb for you as well. The standard panavise with the vinyl jaws are handy at holding rather small parts. It can hold a pcb but only by an edge. Just last night I was using the JR to hold a 4 conductor cable and the standard to hold some small gold plated pins. I would configure them to where the wire was held perfectly so all I had to do was solder. This wasn't anything audio related as I was terminating some cnc stepper cables. Same idea though. I would get the JR first if you're looking at doing pcbs like the pint, ppas, tread, etc.

I used the JR for the pint but I layed it down on its side so it was lower to the table because I don't like working in mid air. It was still used to clamp and hold the pcb in place.

Eh...I even have this one but haven't used it yet. Heh.

Alright thats enough.
blink.gif

Nov 25, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #3 of 13
Everything He said /\. I have the Junior and I use it at work all the time for holding XLRs, 1/4s whatever, works good to hold boards too. I also have the full size guy with the Vinyl grips and it works good for many many things. And I also have the full size Circuit Board holder, and it works awesome. I would just suggest finding a way to weigh down the base, as some larger CBs will make it want to tip over.

-Gross

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 13
I actually almost bought the vacuum base today, however I didnt play with it. I did pickup the magnetic base for my panavise Jr, as I do a lot of work in large equipment racks, and I think it is going to be very handy.

(BTW, I am still rocking out to those SR-80's I bought from you!)

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(BTW, I am still rocking out to those SR-80's I bought from you!)

Ah, excellent, glad to hear it!

The Panavise options are very cool, and it seems like there's a lot of flexibility.

Are there any other manufacturers worth looking at?

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 13
I picked up a vacuum base Panavise on eBay. I used it on a reasonably-smooth wooden table top and the vacuum wouldn't hold for more than an hour or so, depending on the angle of the head which could lever the base off. It might work better on a smoother tabletop (laminate or metal?). Someday I may look into adding some lead weight into the base.

I also have a circuit board holder which was pretty nice for building a Millett but is not as useful for smaller boards.

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #10 of 13
Hi all. Just an update. here's my current plan.

I pan to get the Electronic Work Center.

I do not currently have a good workstation given that my DIY shop has been takem over by The Little Monkey. So I will need a portable weighted solution for the base.

There's the Weighted Base Mount, which is nice and portable, but still requires a work table. Then there's the Surface Plate Base Mount, which looks very useful because it can serve as a portable weight and small work table. But it is very expensive.

I'm impressed by how modular the Panavise stuff is. Any feedback on the above proposed setup is appreciated. Thanks for your help thus far.

Dec 6, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 13
Hey The Monkey - nice shopping there! I do not currently have one, but boy will it be on my Christmas list. I've recruited a fair amount of spare hands lately, so this would be outstanding. I may look through their accessories as I think psilosome gave me a good reminder: my next few projects will be small boards so possibly the work center with one smaller holder would do the trick. I dunno, but I'm sure glad you brought this up. Thanks!

Edit: Hey, maybe this 310-B Clamp would do the trick for smaller stuff (think PPAS!). Any guess if this would snap onto the electronics work center?

Dec 6, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #13 of 13
The Weller PCB holder looks pretty nice - I was never very happy about the ease of flipping a board in the Panavise holder. I wonder what the articulated sponge thing is for - maybe for holding a component in while upside down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back