PanaVise holder and mount
Feb 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #16 of 22
Oh, I didn't realize they started blocking non-registered users from even viewing threads, sorry about that.

Here's another link:

2 arm Base station:
http://www.grstools.com/for-jewelry-work/third-hands-and-soldering-stations/third-hand-with-soldering-station.html

standalone arm:
http://www.grstools.com/benchmate-for-jewelers/classic-accessories/third-hand-attachment.html

Also note that if you want the same 3 armed config, you will need to drill 1 hole in the metal base plate to mount the 3rd arm.  The standalone arm comes with the mounting hardware (nuts & bolts), you just need to drill the hole.

I picked the 2-section variant for more flexibility over the slightly cheaper 1-section variant.  septools.com and ottofrei.com also carry them in the US.  I'll take a pic of the folded config and post it later once I get home from work.  

Greystoke, the 2-arm config has some limitations depending on what you're doing.  I tend to use 2 arms to secure the PCB and the 3rd arm to hold the wire for soldering.  If I had a small Panavise to hold the PCB securely, then the 2-arm station would be enough.  Since I don't have a Panavise, I opted for the 3 arm config/build.  Also, the "jaws" are fairly strong so if you're gripping soft material you may want to add some heat-shrink tubing around each jaw to prevent teeth marks. 

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #17 of 22
Here are the pics of it in its folded down/storage config:

Those 3 hex/allen keys taped to the bottom came with it, 1 key per arm.  I taped them to the bottom because I know I'll lose them otherwise.  They are for removing the black "jaws" if you ever need to replace them with different sized jaws or when you wear out your old ones.

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #19 of 22
You're welcome.  Since you can't see the other guy's setup, I've copied his pics and re-upped them here.  First 2 pics are a comparison of the GRS arms/hands to the generic cheapy $10 helping hands.  He didn't bother with the 2 arm soldering station, just a medium sized Panavise, 3 arms, flex-a-mag, pin vice, and a custom made adapter to mount the pin vice onto the Panavise.  He does a lot of small PCB work so this was more suitable for him.  Apparently the 3 pre-tapped holes on the Panavise fit the GRS arms perfectly.  

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #20 of 22
Wow the setup looks awesome. Thanks again for the pics.

I don't do complicated DIY stuff, except DIYmod (for my ipod 5g/5.5g LO) and making some cables. I have a cheap help hands but find the blu-tacks more useful and handy for small electrical work.

Feb 27, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #21 of 22
<snip> Greystoke, the 2-arm config has some limitations depending on what you're doing.  I tend to use 2 arms to secure the PCB and the 3rd arm to hold the wire for soldering.  If I had a small Panavise to hold the PCB securely, then the 2-arm station would be enough.  Since I don't have a Panavise, I opted for the 3 arm config/build.  Also, the "jaws" are fairly strong so if you're gripping soft material you may want to add some heat-shrink tubing around each jaw to prevent teeth marks. 

I appreciate the tip on tips, as it were!  I have a couple of different models of Panavises, so I think the two-arm version should suffice.  Most of the time I'm looking for an extra hand it's for light items, like resistors or switches, this will really help in those situations. 

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #22 of 22
I have a 2 arm with base and a single arm with base inbound currently. Looking forward to trying it out. I solder a lot for work so this should speed up my work too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back