Panasonic XR45?
Dec 22, 2004 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ROB968323

New Head-Fier
I’m kind of confused. I’m not sure if I’m using my XR45 to its fullest potential. I’m running a Panasonic RP91 DVD player feeding the XR45 using the standard RCA digital connection. This sounds pretty good to me. I’m just confused as to what the DVD player sends. What sort of bits/Khz are sent for DVDs and standard CDs. What does the XR45 do with this?

I guess my question is…can I use some sort of upsampling device between my DVD player and the XR45. Also would something like the Monarchy Audio DIP be of benefit? This is confusing to me…Thanks for the help.

Rob

Dec 22, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #2 of 3
CDs are 16bit 44.1khz which is PCM audio. DVD movies are compressed using Dolby Digital or DTS. When the multichannel is sent over the digital link, it is bitstream and isn't in any form of bits or khz. They will decode on the receiver as 24bit 48khz. If you have a stereo setup, you can configure DVD players to only output stereo and in that case that digital link is PCM which would probably be 24bit 48khz.

>>>I guess my question is…can I use some sort of upsampling device between my DVD player and the XR45.

The RP91 already has some kind of upsampling for CD called multimaster remastering or something.

>>>Also would something like the Monarchy Audio DIP be of benefit?

As a jitter reducer and resampler, your milage may vary.

I recommend getting a better powercord for the XR45 first.

Dec 22, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 3
SA-XR45 is pretty responsive to a) power cables and conditioning and b) digital tweaks. I would think a reclocker like the monarchy dip would provide some benefit (my modded cd player with upgraded clock sound much better as a transport for it than any other digital source I have to feed it), however I agree with lan in that power cords will provide more benefit. This is one of those few products that really shines with aftermarket cords (something heavy gauge, use a converter to plug it in to your unit).

I have an SA-XR25 and power cord upgrade made a huge difference, however I can also easily hear the difference between my 3 digital sources. Both of these would be worthwhile tweaks for these units.
biggrin.gif

-dd3mon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back