Panasonic SL-SX280 not that bad
Mar 25, 2002 at 10:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

meme4me

New Head-Fier
Just got myself a 280 today, on a very limited budget so I could only afford this one at the moment.

People seem to insist hearing hiss noises in the background. Based on my own listening from a V6, I don't think its that noticeable, for the stuff I listen to (techno, house, trance), its more than likely that the biggest source of noises is from the original recording itself.

Then again, for those who complain about the hiss, you get what you paid for... This definitely gives the biggest bang for the buck (not quite literally, the output is bit weak, oh well more reasons to motivate myself to build a portable amp =) )

Mar 26, 2002 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 3
280 Not bad at all!

The 280 was the first pcd that I had gotten (just by chance). In my opinion, it's a totally decent, bargain cd player. Good battery life, decent power (for driving efficient headphones), decent ergonomics. The one thing I don't like is the lid release... mine pops open very easily.

Actually compared the sound from the 280 to my (extremely!) modest home receiver and DVD player last night. The verdict? Not bad!! I was listening to a variety of music (everything from Pink Floyd to Enya, to Alicia Keys to Staind) and comparing the 280 with JMT built amp, Markertek cable, Ety ER4S. The home rig sounded more smooth and full, better definition and separation, with a warmer feel than the portable unit. But, the difference, while noticable, was not major to my ears. Which means:

1. My DVD isn't that great (Pioneer 603)
2. My home amp (a basic Pioneer home theater system) isn't that great.
3. My ears are not all that discriminating
4. Some combination of the above.
5. The 280 plus JMT built Altoids amp is a pretty decent, budget option for low budget but good portable sound.

BTW: I never noticed hiss or hum with the 280... that is until I got some good cans. Once I got the Ety 4, the noise became noticable. Am now in search of a better PCD.

Lesson: improvements in the quality of your headphones will likely result in the need to upgrade other parts of your setup.

Bruce

Mar 27, 2002 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 3
the pana SL-sx280.......is the one thats blue or silver right? and the lcd is on the top left portion.

i see that alot. and current price is 39.99.

im looking for a new one too, but should i consider this one?

the biggest reason is......personal taste.....this player is too populated, and having at least two classmates using same player......i dont like that feeling. feels strange.

too bad, the player dont come in black color, if it does.........i will get it for sure.

Dont get me wrong, aesthetic dont matter--i wouldnt be wearing a sporta if it matters. But since i 'assume' most 'buget' cd players have about similar sound quality, id rather go the different route. and carry one not many people have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back