Panasonic SL-SX280 Battery Question
Jul 26, 2002 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jim Clark

New Head-Fier
My wife gave this to me yesterday as a gift. It's not the one I asked for but her heart was in the right place. Anyway, before I open it I have a question about the batteries. The reviews I've read make comments about the panasonic rechargeable batteries being impossible to find. Why couldn't I just use any rechargeable AA batteries? I ask only because of the 6 reviews, the panny batteries are mentioned at least twice which struck me as very odd.

In all probability this is among the dumber questions posed on the forum but better safe than sorry. I realize that this isn't the greatest PCDP available but as long as I can use it running it will be fine.

Thanks,
jc

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi Jim.

Don't worry you question is not at all dumb.
Now, you can use any rechargable batteries ofcourse, but they wont recharge in the unit. As far as I remember Panasonic batts have the bootom of the cells uncovered, which makes a contact inside the compartment to "tell"the player that these are Panasonic batteries. This means that other brands of rechargiables will simply not recharge in the unit. You can make them to but I wouldn't recommend that. If you player comes with rechargables, use them as advised in the manual, if not just get yourself 4 NiMH batteries and a separate charger. Look for something around or above 1600 mAh.

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I appreciate it.

I would probably prefer not to use the PCDP as a charger since I wouldn't be able to use the 'P' part of it while it was recharging. Looks like it will work just fine.

jc

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 5
The Panasonic batteries are made by Matsu****a and they're impossible to find because they only make them for sale in Panasonic products.

But, yes, you can use any rechargable battery of the same size. Look for NiMH batteries with a mWh rating as high as possible.

kerelybonto

Jul 26, 2002 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 5
Whoop, was posting while you guys were.

blr, most rechargable batteries have the same type of bottom as the Panasonic/Matsu****a batteries -- they differ only from alkaline batteries. In my experience, most consumer NiMH batteries will recharge in the Panasonic players.

kerelybonto

Users who are viewing this thread

Back