Panasonic SA-RX45 receiver
Nov 10, 2003 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

brent_mr2

100+ Head-Fier
Just wondering if this is a good receiver or not. I'm not an audiophile so I'm really only looking for something affordable that sounds great.

I listened to it over at Circuit City and I was really impressed. I like the fact that it's slim and has three optical in's. This is a full digital receiver.

Just wondering if this is a good receiver to get or not.

http://www.800stereo.com/prods/panasonic-sa-rx45.html

TIA.

Nov 10, 2003 at 6:05 PM Post #2 of 22
Brent,

Please check out this link. I posted it about 2 weeks ago but no one responded.

Each of the threads are very lengthy....over 10 pages each. I have listened to the XR25 (Circuit City doesn't stock the XR45) and it's very impressive. The XR45 has better parts, a pre-out, etc....so it's worth the extra money. However, both the XR25/45 do an analog>>digital>>analog conversion even on its 5.1 "analog" inputs. On the other hand, the people who have purchased these receivers said that when a DVD player or a CD player is connected to the Panasonics using coax the digital inputs, the sound is just amazing. Apparently when using such a connection, it will be completely digital until the speaker output.

BTW, J&R has the XR45 at $299.88. It's #2 on its receiver Best Sellers list.

Nov 10, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 22
Oops....double post.
mad.gif

Nov 10, 2003 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 22
Sony's first batch of digital receivers had some serious hiss/hum issues.

If memory still serves, most of the lower end Sony models have been recalled.

Don't know if the Panasonic ones have the same problem.

Nov 10, 2003 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 22
Musicfan123,

I believe only one user on those lengthy links complained about hums.

BTW, these Panasonic receivers (like all other Panasonic/Technics receivers) has a detachable power cord. And reading the various posts on those links I provided, looks like an aftermarket powercord will improve sound quality.

Nov 10, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
However, both the XR25/45 do an analog>>digital>>analog conversion even on its 5.1 "analog" inputs.

I can't speak to the XR models -- I haven't heard them yet. But while it certainly sounds strange to do A to D to A conversion, it actually makes a lot of sense. Bass management and time management are very hard to do by purely analog mechanisms -- much easier (and in what I've heard, better) using DSP. The problem really is the resistance of the music industry to allowing easy digital transfer of high resolution music. Only a few vendors have adopted i.Link (1394 with the A&M protocol) and as far as I know, there are no vendors out there with audio over an HDMI link (perhaps the forthcoming Pioneer 59Ai will support this -- I'm not sure.)

Nov 10, 2003 at 7:22 PM Post #7 of 22
Generally, on other home theater receivers, when the 5.1 analog inputs are used, it's a straight thru process to the volume control. I agree about the digital aspect of hi-rez formats. In the case of the Panasonic XR-series receivers, the A>>D>>A process is taking an extra step due to the Texas Instrument digital amps.

Nov 10, 2003 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 22
When I accessed the owner's manual of the XR- series receivers at Panasonic's website, looks to me no BM or TM when using the 5.1 inputs.

Giving all that's on the receivers, and the reacting of those who have purchased it, this could been one of the biggest audio steals out there. I just hope audiophiles don't let that "Panasonic" badge scare them away.

Nov 10, 2003 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
Giving all that's on the receivers, and the reacting of those who have purchased it, this could been one of the biggest audio steals out there. I just hope audiophiles don't let that "Panasonic" badge scare them away.

Panasonic sometimes makes surprisingly good equipment. For example, the RP82 DVD player. (Although the analog audio out on that player was only fair.)

Nov 11, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by Musicfan123
Go the amp forum on avsforum.com, search for Sony's 300, or is it 3000 model. And you'll see all the hum complaints.

I don't understand -- how does this post relate to this thread?

Nov 13, 2003 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 22
Thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'll probably get one when I can afford it.

The receiver I have now is a Sony Vision Touch. It was one of the first a/v receivers that came out. Since it only has pro-logic and no digital jacks, it's time to upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back