Panasonic S97 as home cd player. Anyone have experience with it?
Jun 28, 2008 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

longie11

Head-Fier
So i've been using my S97 as my home cd player with for the time being a cheap rca to mini adapter connected to a minibox e+ and either yuin pk1s or senn hd555s. Anyone ever listened to it or heard any good things about it? Did a search but didn't find much.

After reading the thread about the hdcd list I noticed it had the hdcd branding on the front so i've been going through my cds looking for anything on the list.It's not being used that often but when I do use it the sound actually sounds much better than i'd expect.

So did I get lucky with a better than average cd player for what was essentially bought as a higher end upscale dvd player?

Jun 28, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 3
The Pannies were lauded as good basic players when they came out. The same gets said of Toshiba's, Samsungs, Oppo's etc.

The new breed of DVD players seem to be getting basic redbook sound down pretty well. Some say it's actually because of "convergence" of more functionality in smaller chips. This results in a smaller amount of physical circuitry, and a simpler audio path. Less parts, better sound.

I owned the S97 (still do actually). It's a case of simple can sound good.

I've definitely heard better, but for what they do and what they cost, all these new players are great. Enjoy the sound you have, and don't worry about upgrades unless you're not happy...or have some extra $$ and that audio cuiosity
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the info and the audio curiosity bug has definitely bitten already. I'll just channel it into getting better full size cans and a home amp eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back