Panasonic RP-HX50 Slimz review
Jul 5, 2009 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Bas82

New Head-Fier
Well, here it is my review of the Panasonic RP-HX50 Slimz. As I didn't found too much info about these on internet, I decided to write a review after a two weeks of use.

I'm going to split the review into four sections: presentation of the product, hardware characteristics and comfort notes, sound quality, and final conclusions.

1. Presentation of the product.

The RP-HX50 comes in a very simple double-dvd case with 'notches' to keep it inside in the exact position it is planned to. The case is of the same quality as any other double-dvd case, semi-translucent, with no extra padding nor anything. No manuals are included (at least in the presentation here in Argentina). The price here is around U$S 50.00 (AR$ 170).

The presentation is as good as it could be considering the design and the way they were thought. As comparison, the presentation of the Sennheiser PX-100 (around U$S 100.00 here) has a better presentation though less 'flashy' (flashy because the HX50 presentation stands out from the crowd, but because it is much more sober than the usual headphone presentation).

Overall, I'd give the presentation item a 8/10 (consider it a 7/10, personally I'll give an 8/10 because it's original compared to the common headphone presentation).

2. Hardware and comfort.

rphx50s500.jpg

The build quality is pretty good for the price. The hinges are all plastic (don't expect the sturdy hinges of the Senn's PX-100), but the cups themselves are of good quality. The earcups of course don't enclose the ear, but they rather sit over a reduced area of the ear, and they do an acceptable job of isolating some ambient noise (may I remark 'some'). They do not warm too much my ear as other headphones do (perhaps I am too sensible to this, but I have found more than one full sized can uncomfortable due to the fact that my ears become too warm). The earcups overall provide an excellent fit to my ears, and the majority of people that have tried them (including people that usually have problems with headphones fitting) do agree that they are prominently comfortable and for its size, the ambient noise isolation is very noticeable.

When walking on a crowded street, I can hear the street noises at normal hearing volumes. At high volumes, the ambient noise becomes of course almost inaudible, but due to the mix of high volume and partial enclosure of the ear. At the same volume, I hear much less ambient noise with these Panasonix than with my PX-100. To be able to shut ambient noise on my PX-100, I have to deaf my hearing with the volume.

The headband is comfortable, and is well designed to allow the cans to be parallel to the side of the head. When the cans sit over the ear, they sit perfectly parallel, and there is no need to adjust anything to make the cups sit inline with the ears. As they rotate over the vertical axis, they autoadjust to be a little degrees rotated and provide an excellent fit. It's not cushioned as the PX-100 headband, nor it needs to be. They do not move at all in my head once they are in the correct position. As they are also very light, once I'm using them I hardly notice them. They are one of the most comfortable headphones I've ever used.

The cable is a standard double-wire cable with an L plug, pretty much standard in Panasonic low and mid end headphones, and it's gold plated.

panasonicrphx501.jpg

Overall, between hardware and fitting, I'll give them a 9.5/10, as they are really comfortable (even more comfortable than my PX-100, which are open) and provide much more ambient noise isolation. They do not seem to be fragile, though thay are not designed to throw them around carelessly.

3. Sound quality.

As soon as I took them out of the box and plugged on my iPod (iPod Video 30GB), they did sound as everybody says: very crisp highs (almost too crisp), open mids and poor bass. Excellent soundstage by the way, for its size and design.

The iPod Video, at least in my experience, is not the best player I've tried. I don't have other portable players around, but playing the same song, with no equalization, on my iPod and on the headphone out of my full size pre amp (Yamaha C-4), the difference is noticeable. The iPod comes to life with RockBox (a mod that every iPod owner should do, in my humble opinion), and with RockBox in flat settings, the RP-HX50 do sound really alike on the iPod and on my Yamaha C-4 also in flat EQ.

After a week of using them for one hour a day and leaving the iPod playing at mid volumes on the nights for a little burn in (I don't want to raise a discussion about this, as burn in for headphones is a controversial topic), all I can tell is that they improved a lot. I can say, to mitigate the voices that may arise sustaining that it was me who adjusted to the headphones, that I listened to the RP-HX50 for an hour a day and then went back to my PX-100 for the rest of my hearing session (4hs a day approximately), so, there was no too much room to "fit myself" to these headphones.

The bass has improved a lot, really a lot. The highs are way sweeter but crisp enough to detail a triangle, and the mids are as open as they used to be.

However, they do lack bass (at least to me, that I'm used to bassy headphones and bassy general sound, personal preference). I equalized them in RockBox to improve bass performance. My current EQ is very simple however, as I did not touch the advanced settings. I simply set a gain of +2dB on bass with standard cutoff frequency and -1dB on treble, with standard cutoff too.

The range of music I hear is very ample: on a single day I may range from classical (opera and concerto) to metal (Fear Factory or Disturbed kind of metal), passing through a lot of jazz (from Chet Baker to US3) and some Bossa Nova. Overall, they do sound acceptably well on all of them, which is remarkable considering the difference in music. I hardly have to adjust anything on EQ settings to hear what I'd like to hear.

For example, listening to Carl Orff's Carmina Burana first movement (O Fortuna), or the III movement of Vivaldi's Verano, I can hear everything, from the cymbals on Carmina Burana, to the low cellos and high pizzicato violin passes on Vivaldi's composition.

With Fear Factory's Edgecrusher song, the bass is very clear, the voice too, and just sometimes the guitar runs over the drums (but that is a characteristic of Fear Factory composition, since the guitar riffs were usually tied to the very fast Herrera's drumming). The bass on Stone Sour's Socio song is crisp, clear, and rich.

Listening to Jamiroquai's High Times song is a total pleasure.

Overall, I'll give the sound quality a 9/10, but you may consider a 7/10 or 8/10 if you look for a headphone that may be average on almost every kind of music but excel at some specific type. A good exception could be vocals, where the RP-HX50 do perform noticeably well.

4. Final Conclusions.

For the price, the Panasonix RP-HX50 are unbeatable. They do not have the sound quality of my Audio Technicas CM7, and my sennheisers PX-100 do sound a little better, but the HX50 do give a much, much better soundstage. They are way more comfortable too (the CM7s keep falling off my ear constantly), have a very acceptable build quality (they look good too), are small, really portable, have an excellent fit and they do have a nice sound quality. They've became my everyday headphones.

Please, if there's anything important that I left, or any additional detail needed, just tell me and I'll add a note about it.

Cheers!
Sebastian.

PS: pardon my english please, is not my mother tongue
redface.gif

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 10
Thanks for your thoughts pi3guy. I initially thought about the '.' vs ',' when I wrote the numbers, but I thought that it was difficult to confuse (let's agree, two zeros do not make for any other number).

I'll change it and add some pictures. Thanks again!

Regards.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 10
it goes two ways. in countries that don't write decimal's as full stops, it is confusing when a person from say, canada or the usa writes currency or numbers with full stops. we could just agree to realise that it is not that hard on these boards to read 100,00 as perfectly legible and, should be understood by anyone.

we simply cannot police this board which, though composed mainly of americans, has many non-americans.

as for the review - very very well done.

Jul 5, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Shigzeo, thanks for your words. I agree with you on the numbering issue, but well, I changed it while I added the pictures. They are the ones I was able to find on the net when I was seeking some info on the net, not of my own pair of headphones. I'll see if I can take a picture of mines later and change them.

Thanks again and best regards.

Jul 6, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #7 of 10
Thanks for the impressions.

I just bought a like new open box pair yesterday for $16.99 shipped. They already shipped them actually. These are around $22 from Amazon and Overstock. So under $25 shipped new.

I was gonna just buy a pair of Senn PX200 pads for ~$13 to use on my Philips SHL9500's but figured pay $4 more and also get another pair of decent little phones.

I'll see how they compare to the $16 Philips and how the pads work out. They sound very much the same signature as the Philips.

Problem with the P10/SHL9500/Slimz is that they are all neutral and you need bigger bass if you use them out in the real world. I think that Ultrason(Zino), Nuforce(UF-30), and Jays(v-Jays) understand how lows get drowned out and you need real bass punch to counteract that especially since the pads are too small too isolate well. I use mine around the house/yard for something small that doesn't get too warm so I'm okay with less bass. Still like the Philips better amped with bass boost though.

Jul 8, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #9 of 10
I got my Slimz today.
P1010012-1.jpg

Folded up. Different mechanisms of course.
P1010015.jpg

The Panasonic are slightly smaller and lighter than the Philips. They are less robust feeling since they are more plastic while the Philips have more metal in their construction.

They do sound very much alike. The Panasonic seem like new for an open box as the tape was still on the headband keeping it from extending. I assume they need some burn in. They are slightly behind the Philips out of the box which doubles as the case. A bit less smooth and clear but so much alike.

Bottom line is that they are both very good choices for $20-$25 shipped. I agree that they are both a bit below the PX100 especially if you want more bass/a warmer sound but for under $20 they are both really nice little phones and good deals. I got the Slimz for $17 and SHL9500 for $16 both including shipping. Not bad at all!

Jul 10, 2009 at 10:01 PM Post #10 of 10
The Slimz have been burning in a while. I, as the OP, am also impressed with the SQ of this little phone.

Quite crisp and clear with quite transparent mids. The tone of timbre of this little phone is pretty realistic( though not super accurate). It is well detailed and well layered. Many cheaper Japanese headphones/earphones have the same 12-24 frequency response but these actually have nice reach on both ends.

It does lack bass and can be harsh in it's brightness though. Even with my Sony->Fiio E3 it is pretty harsh and can be fatiguing. They now makes the Philips seem that they have a Sennheiser veil but now the Philips are more smooth in comparison and an easier listen. The Philips have a little bit more bass amount but i like the Panasonic bass quality more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back