Panasonic RP-HT711: Impressions
Dec 22, 2004 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jman999

Head-Fier
I bought these off headphones off of ebay for <$20 not expecting much. Trying different sources and amps with this headphone didn't really do much to improve the sound. The sound is in few a words: tinny, distant and harsh but for my purposes it is fully acceptable. Maybe the sound will change with burn-in; however, I seriously doubt that it will change significantly. I only bought these for times late at night when I am unable to use my speakers. Fortunately these headphones pleather circumaural pads and light padded headphone make this headphone fairly comfortable.

Sound Quality: 2/5
The sound really makes me appreciate my speakers.

Build Quality: 2/5
It's made of cheap plastic.

Comfort: 4/5
Definitely the best aspect of this headphone.

Value: 3/5
You get what you pay for.

This is my first headphone review and doesn't really describe the sound in detail, because in my opinion it's not worth doing so.

Cheers,
-Jonathan

Dec 23, 2004 at 1:12 AM Post #2 of 5
I may sound like a broken record, but have you tried the Koss KSC/PortaPro line? $20 for the KSC-75 (+ $5 shipping) is the best bargain in the headphone world. After a week of using nothing but my Cyber Acoustics speakers (which are good $20 speakers), going to my PortaPros (which have a design similar to the KSC-75) made everything suddenly sound so much better (of course I also have a nice amp and source backing them, but they sound good out of practically anything). The PortaPros are exactly the opposite of what you describe the Panasoncis as: they're warm and bass heavy (no tininess, that's forsure), very upfront, and not harsh. They're also very fun, which makes them good for very active music like rock.

Dec 23, 2004 at 1:45 AM Post #3 of 5
Yes, I considered the KSC-35/75, but decided against it because of my glasses. These headphones may not be the best quality, but they are very comfortable and will work fine for late night game/movie sessions. They already sound a little less harsh after an hour's burn-in so I'm hoping they'll become better after a week,

EDIT: My speaker rig consists of a pair of HKB6 bookshelf speakers and a fairly decent HTR, which sound quite good now, and will be even better once I silence my computer. At current I prefer speakers to headphones, but maybe that will change when I scrounge together the cash for a pair of great cans like the Senn. HD555.

-Jonathan

Dec 23, 2004 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Radar
After a week of using nothing but my Cyber Acoustics speakers (which are good $20 speakers), going to my PortaPros (which have a design similar to the KSC-75) made everything suddenly sound so much better (of course I also have a nice amp and source backing them, but they sound good out of practically anything).

$20 headphones vs $20 speakers; now that's not a fair comparison.

Dec 23, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman999
Yes, I considered the KSC-35/75, but decided against it because of my glasses. These headphones may not be the best quality, but they are very comfortable and will work fine for late night game/movie sessions. They already sound a little less harsh after an hour's burn-in so I'm hoping they'll become better after a week,

I wear glasses and comfort with the PortaPro is not an issue if I position them right. Other users have not had comfort issues with the KSC-35/75 and glasses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sucka
$20 headphones vs $20 speakers; now that's not a fair comparison.

True, but they're the best speakers in my house, plus they don't sound half-bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back