Panasonic RP-HJE50's
May 14, 2005 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LTUCCI1924

Headphoneus Supremus
HI:
I just ordered the Panasonic RP-HJE50's.
Last week I bought the Sony EX 81 and didn't like the fit or sound for the money that I paid so I took them back. Then I bought the Sony EX51lp/b and also found them not to my liking for the money that I paid so they also went back.

The Panasonic RP-HJE50's just cost 20.00 and I have read some good things about them. They are half the price or less than the other two phones so I thought why not give them a try. I will be A/B them with my Koss 75 and am hoping that they will replace the 75's. Any comments on the
Panasonic RP-HJE50's would be appreciated.
Please no MD33 post. I don't use adiocubs.

May 14, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 11
I think your going to have a hard time replacing your KSC-75's if you shop in the under $70 canal phone range. Good luck anyways, tell us what you think about them when you get them.

May 15, 2005 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 11
Howdy Lou ... I consider the Panas to be the "best buy" in the cheap canalphone sector. Most of the good points of the md-33s with a considerably less harsh top end. Real good value for money.

I'd still have them now but I couldnt get a good fit to my ear with the supplied plugs.

B.

May 15, 2005 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 11
Buddha
HI: How are you? were you not here before. Why is your post count so low? Have you heard the Sony ex81 or 51? I wounder how the Pan. sound compared to them or the Koss 75?

May 15, 2005 at 4:17 AM Post #5 of 11
I heard that the rp-H50's lacks bass. And I've also heard a way to solve this. If you can find the silicon pads from a sony ex51, 70, 71, or 81, I heard the shape of the silicon pads increase the bass. I'm not sure if it's a rumour or not. Why dun you give it a try? I dunno where to get the pana's that cheap.

May 15, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsjong
I heard that the rp-H50's lacks bass. And I've also heard a way to solve this. If you can find the silicon pads from a sony ex51, 70, 71, or 81, I heard the shape of the silicon pads increase the bass. I'm not sure if it's a rumour or not. Why dun you give it a try? I dunno where to get the pana's that cheap.

Yes they lack bass, but only when an improper seal is made. A few have mentioned that the HJE silicons don't make perfect seal as reliably as EX series. I've been able to form a good seal every time though. Ymmv.

May 15, 2005 at 5:21 AM Post #8 of 11
Also, the bass that the Panasonics lack is the bloated bass attack of the Sonys. It has a tighter/cleaner but still impactful bass. Some people prefer the bloat though
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924
Buddha
HI: How are you? were you not here before. Why is your post count so low? Have you heard the Sony ex81 or 51? I wounder how the Pan. sound compared to them or the Koss 75?

G'day Lou, ... these days I do more reading than posting ... with interest mostly in the "gems of the sub $100" bracket.

I think you'll judge your 75's as superior, but it really depends on whether or not theres a lot of noise around. Im still looking for that cheap comfortable canalphones that will block noise.

My current interest is the hd201 ... a cheap closed Senn can which is only about $18 USD.

May 15, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #10 of 11
i switched from Ex71 to HJE-50s. The Ex71 broke.

HJE-50 sounds much better after my mods.

i stuff some cotton wool into the driver to minimise the "IN YOUR HEAD" feeling. The highs and mids are more controlled now.

i switch the ear tips to the Ex71 tips cause they're softer on my ears. More comfy.

Really awesome sounding now. Decent i guess. Of course, do not expect superb sound seperation and colouration here. Decent enough for the bus/train, sounds better than the Ex71. not bad for the $$ i paid.

May 15, 2005 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 11
I recently bought the HJE50s based on what I read about them here and because of the price. Out of the box, the treble is piercing and the bass isn't all that apparent. After burn-in, or my ears getting used to them, the treble is tamed a lot and the bass is there, but not too bloated. They're very comfortable, aside from the slight annoyance of the cord lengths. Overall, they sound great, especially just for casual listening or when you're out and about.

I have the KSC75s as well, and would say that the KSC75s only sound better in complete silence, which for me, is very rare. So I'd say that practically, with the isolation of the Panasonics, the HJE50s sound better.

I've only listened to EX51s a couple of times, but from what I remember, the HJE50s have tighter, cleaner bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back