Panasonic RP-HJE50S; how's the isolation?
Oct 21, 2005 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

xenogenesis

New Head-Fier
Hey there,

I'm in a bit of a bind here. I'm looking for canalphones at a reasonable price, and I'm not concerned about audio quality so much as I am about ISOLATION (audio quality a bonus of course). It doesn't need to be complete silence, but in a quiet room I should only be able to hear a very muffled voice if someone was trying to talk to me.

I've tried "Koss - The Spark Plug" and JVC "HA-FX55V-W." My findings: the Koss ones offer nice isolation but are extremely annoying to put in and don't fit my ears well at all (they fall out all the time), the sound quality is acceptable, while the JVC's had terrible sound quality (VERY LITTLE bass reproduction I found on my Zen Touch 20GB) and to boot, they barely isolated at all.

Thankfully, I was able to return the JVC's to Best Buy, but I'm stuck with the Spark Plugs. They'll make a decent last resort back up pair I guess. Anyway, I've since come across these Panasonic RP-HJE50S's, and the only place that stocks them near me won't take them back for any circumstance other than a defect in their function because it's unhygenic, so it's a bit of a $40 Canadian funds gamble.

To anyone who has tried the Panasonics, or even better, the Panasonics -and- the Koss ones or the JVC ones: how do the Panasonics do in terms of overall isolation? I've read on here that the sound quality is as good as it's going to get in terms of bang for buck, which is perfect, but they simply need to isolate effectively. Thanks a lot, I may just trust this $40 purchase purely on the words of forum members, so please help me out.

Oh yeah, is isolation something that has way more to do with personal fit than with the design of the 'phones? If so, I'll just wait a few weeks for someone who stocks them that will give me a satisfaction guarantee.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 21
The Panasonic RP-HJE50 is a canalphone that uses the exact same type of ultra-soft silicone tip as the Sony MDR-EX51LP, Sony MDR-EX71SL, Sony MDR-EX81LP, Sharp MD33, and a few other popular earphones. The isolation is definitely better than any full-sized closed headphones, but a lot less than true IEMs like Shures/Etys/Westones/Ultimate Ears etc.

These Panasonic/Sony/Sharps depend most on the volume of your music to drown out the outside noise. In a quiet room and listening at the volume you'd use outside where it's louder, you'll drown out everything. This is because the room is quiet, you'll hear all of the music. The good news is, lowering the volume a little bit will still allow a great experience since you have no outside distraction.

If you would like more info, head over to the Headphones section of this forum. Do an Advanced search for threads with the Title "HJE50" or "RP-HJE50". You should have a good read ahead.

-S

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenogenesis

Oh yeah, is isolation something that has way more to do with personal fit than with the design of the 'phones? If so, I'll just wait a few weeks for someone who stocks them that will give me a satisfaction guarantee.

On these ultra-soft silicone tipped canalphones, the isolation depends on the volume of the music playing and how loud the outside is. On true IEMs the isolation depends on the fit and type of tip used (foam/rubber/tri or bi-flange etc.)

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 21
Well, I'm not so much concerned in cancelling sound in a quiet room...seems to me there's nothing to really distract one listening to music in a quiet room to begin with.

My concern here is mainly cancelling the sound inside a v12 diesel bus, just about any typical city bus. The Koss Spark Plugs didn't entirely eliminate the sound, but certainly dampened to a fair extent and the interfering engine sound was gone at mid volume levels. Are these 'phones capable of this kind of isolation on a bus? The JVC's were certainly -not- up to the task.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #5 of 21
If you want to drown out a bus, you're probably looking at an IEM like Shure e2/e2c or Etymotic ER6i in the <$100 range. These will drown out more noise than those expensive battery powered noise cancellation headphones.

Oct 21, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 21
Well, if it's going to take E2c's to block out the noise as well as my Koss Spark Plug phones, I'd have to pass. Sure they're a bit annoying and worth to replace for $40, but not for $100 or more (after CDN currency conversion, shipping, the 30% more customs loves to add, etc).

The Spark Plugs cost me $15 and isolate to my satisfaction, they are just complicated and time consuming to put in. Price probably isn't everything, but it just seems that these for $40 should isolate at least just as well or nearly as well. I dunno, am I wrong? Can someone who has tried both provide a comparison?

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:06 AM Post #7 of 21
I have the panny HJE50. It's the only canal type phone I've used. I think it isolates really well -- far better than any of my other cans, and definitely well enough to enjoy a safe listening level on a train or bus. It didn't fare as well on my last plane ride though. I oftentimes find myself switching out my HD201 for the Pannies when I'm doing coffee shop listening. They're also, in my book, one of the good-cheap cans SQwise.

Oct 21, 2005 at 2:04 PM Post #9 of 21
I also have a pair. My experiences pretty much echo what others have already said. External noise is muffled to quite a low level. But not completely isolated. Moderate volume levels drown outside noise completely. But obviously in quiet bits of music sometimes you hear external noise. They are the only canal type phone I've used aswell. I wouldn't say I was 100% happy with the fit I find the left fits better than the right. Usually I prefer using Mx500's I have. I find the HJE50 more tiring than the Mx500's and I usually want some awareness of the external enviroment when walking, or at work. I mainly use the HJE50 at night to block out annoying noises, like snoring, local parties etc.

Oct 21, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 21
If you found the FX55s bassless and lacking in isolation, I'd have to suggest you didn't have them in right, and weren't getting a good seal...

Oct 21, 2005 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 21
xenogenesis -- based on my experience with the similar Sony's, the silicone tips are really soft (and very comfortable ... some people can sleep on their side with them in). This allows you to use a larger size tip than you might think you would need ... which in turn fills up the ear and tends to reduce outside sound somewhat and hold the 'phones in place better than if you used smaller tips. (I know I'm thinking about getting the Panasonics when my Sony's start to deteriorate.)

To echo what many others have said -- not really super-isolating, but I say go for it. The improved listening experience in noisy places such as busses will be worth it (even at Canadian $ prices). (And start saving up for some sturdy Shures or another make of true isolators, for next year!)

Oct 21, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #12 of 21
Wow, lots of replies. Thanks for the effort guys, much appreciated.

Perhaps I didn't have those JVC's in properly, it was the first time I had used canalphones of that style. It just seemed though that the small would just fall out when I moved around easily, the large would slowly slide themselves out, while the medium size fit and all but obviously, I was not a great seal. Is there a trick to putting them in properly that I'm not aware of? I might just go down to try them out again if there's a solid technique to getting them in right.

I might consider the E2c's or the ER-6 if I knew of a local dealer, but I don't know of any high end audio equipment dealers in the area. I'm in the Vancouver, Canada lower mainland area, and to be more specific with those familiar with the terrain, I'm in Port Moody. For those in the area, is there a store somewhere around here that might sell high end canalphones (willing to travel anywhere on the lower mainland)? Perhaps a small chain store I've never come across yet? TIA.

Oct 30, 2006 at 7:19 AM Post #13 of 21
the hje50's are fine for isolation, work great on buses, and aren't bad for $40. The chord realllly sucks though. First of all, it's a J chord so it goes behind your neck, and I've found the right side is to long so it usually doesn't jive well. Next problem with the chord is that it's only a foot long. It has a foot, and then comes with a meter and a half or so extender.This is dandy if you have a breast pocket but when you dont you have to use the extender and wrap have the chord around your layer. So it's too short without the extender, and too long with it. Microphonics are pretty bad aswell. If the chords sounds dandy for you though, I completely recommend the BUDS.

PS I live in richmond, and have been looking around for dealers of IEM's. So what I've found:
Future shop carries the shure e2c, Sony's, and sennheiser.
Best buy is the same
London drugs is the same, although some of them carry e3c's, and they have the panasonics and altec i752m whatevers
Tom Lee has all shures, and etymotic er6/er4
NCIX (ncix.com its in vancouver richmond and burnaby) can order the creative ep630 ( I ordered a pair yesterday)

plus I've heard about this place lon and mckwaid ( I have no idea how to spell it) that's downtownish thats supposed to carry some heavy duty sound stuff.

Oct 30, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #14 of 21
Like I said earlier I don't find the isolation all that great. But certain the cable is the most annoying I've ever used. Bad microphonics for sure. The cable on the CX300's is better. I still find myself reaching for my mx500's though.

Oct 30, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 21
I have stuck with my HJE50 specially after modding them. They ARE really good for the price paid.

Isolation is acceptably good. But better isolation can be achieved by replacing the tips with Sony EX71 because they are softer and less prone to sore your ears.

HJE50 offers superb highs and clarity if you can tolerate the treble roll off which could be shrill to some - the very reason why I mod them like increasing the impedance to 32ohm basic and another 75ohm adapter when amped. The filter mod is a must if you want to contain the shrillness. HJE50 like most canalphones require you to wear them frequently to get attuned to the cold sound signature - at fist you may not like it but once you get hold of them you will trully appreciate the output

This is one trully underappreciated canalphone and I would keep mine any day over Creative EP630, Senn CX300 and Sony MDREX71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back