Panasonic RP-HJE50
May 31, 2004 at 2:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

mboy2004

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum and currently I'm looking for headphones to use with an Iriver h140 which i'm about to purchase.

I'm looking for in ear phones as i'll mainly be looking to use the unit while i'm on the move.

I've just seen a pair of Panasonic RP-HJE50 at www.minidisc.com.au they are $85.00 AUD (Australian) which seems reasonable.

Has anybody had any experience with these phones, I couldn't seem to find any reviews of them..

Cheers,

Jun 12, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 16
i just got these panasonic canalphones. seems like almost every major japanese audio manufacturer is jumping on the canalphones bandwagon.
cool.gif

price:
i got the hje50 at roughly the same price as the sharp md33. so i would consider the price to be average.

construction:

the panasonic hje50 phones' design is based on the design of sony's ex70/71/51 and sharp's md33 canalphones. the rubber sleeves are interchangeable between the sony, sharp and panasonic canalphones. the stem of the phones (where the wires come out from) is hard plastic, similar to that on the sony ex51, unlike the rubber soft stems of the sony ex71 and the sharp md33.

the wires are thinner than those found on the sharp md33, which makes them more pleasant to wear as the wires wouldn't weigh down the earphones. on the sharp md33, i have to use a clip to clip the wires to my shirt to prevent the weight of the wires from tugging the phones loose and breaking the seal. the wire on the hje50 is short for use with a remote and come with a 1m extension cable if you do not want to use a remote.

the casing is made out of a piece of plastic, which feels pretty sturdy and robust. the appearance of the phones look similar to the sony ex71, because they both have a shiny plate on the earphones.

the sound holes on the hje50 are covered by a very thin layer of fabric material. i think this acts as some sort of damping. i would imagine the phones to sound very harsh if the fabric is removed.

it comes with 3 sizes of rubber sleeves and a small cloth pouch, similar to those that comes with minidisc players.

sound:

the sound of the hje50 is not bad at all. when i first listened to it, they sounded quite tinny, harsh and vocals sounds recessed, but after about 1 day of break-in, they sound quite alright.

bass: the bass is tight, not boomy nor overwhelming as compared to the sony ex71. compared to the sharp md33, the panasonic hje50 has a little less bass but not by a lot. i have to turn up the bass level on my iriver ihp-100 by a notch to have a similar bass level to attain the level of bass on the sharp md33.

mids:
the panasonic has lesser mid-range than the sharp md33. however, it still trumps the sony ex71, which has one of the most recessed vocals i've heard on a headphone. on the ex71, it is as if the singer forgot to switch on his mic and all the other instruments overwhelmed his voice! on the hje50, the vocal sounds just right, not too forward nor too recessed.

highs:
the highs is comparable to the sharp md33 here. like the sharp, the highs on the panasonic is clear and crisp. cymbals and hi hats sounds crystal clear, not like grinding sand sounds which i hear on some phones. the panasonic has more highs than the sharp md33. i had to turn down 2 notches of treble on my ihp-100 when listening to the hje50.

overall:
the hje50 is quite pleasant to listen to but it may be more fatiguing due to its foward presentation. it has a wider sound stage than the sharp md33. the panasonic also sounds more crunchy, which makes it suitable for rock music. electric guitars on distortion sounds more angst-filled. compared to the smoother-sounding sharp md33, listening to music on the hje50 is more 'involving' because of its more crunchy and forward sounding nature. however, this also makes the panasonic sounds less refined than the sharp canalphones. the panasonic hje50 also do not have the 'boxy' and 'plastic' sound that the unmodded sharp md33 has.

the panasonic does not sound sibilant to me, but bear in mind i also can't hear any sibilance on the sony ex71 too, so it might be different for you.

in term of efficiency, the hje50 goes pretty loud, losing out to the sharp md33 by a small notch, given the same volume.

overall, a value-for-money pair of canalphones to buy. recommended to those who are looking for a cheap and good pair of canalphones.
icon10.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 9:06 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub
i just got these panasonic canalphones. seems like almost every major japanese audio manufacturer is jumping on the canalphones bandwagon.
cool.gif

price:
i got the hje50 at roughly the same price as the sharp md33. so i would consider the price to be average.

construction:

the panasonic hje50 phones' design is based on the design of sony's ex70/71/51 and sharp's md33 canalphones. the rubber sleeves are interchangeable between the sony, sharp and panasonic canalphones. the stem of the phones (where the wires come out from) is hard plastic, similar to that on the sony ex51, unlike the rubber soft stems of the sony ex71 and the sharp md33.

the wires are thinner than those found on the sharp md33, which makes them more pleasant to wear as the wires wouldn't weigh down the earphones. on the sharp md33, i have to use a clip to clip the wires to my shirt to prevent the weight of the wires from tugging the phones loose and breaking the seal. the wire on the hje50 is short for use with a remote and come with a 1m extension cable if you do not want to use a remote.

the casing is made out of a piece of plastic, which feels pretty sturdy and robust. the appearance of the phones look similar to the sony ex71, because they both have a shiny plate on the earphones.

the sound holes on the hje50 are covered by a very thin layer of fabric material. i think this acts as some sort of damping. i would imagine the phones to sound very harsh if the fabric is removed.

it comes with 3 sizes of rubber sleeves and a small cloth pouch, similar to those that comes with minidisc players.

sound:

the sound of the hje50 is not bad at all. when i first listened to it, they sounded quite tinny, harsh and vocals sounds recessed, but after about 1 day of break-in, they sound quite alright.

bass: the bass is tight, not boomy nor overwhelming as compared to the sony ex71. compared to the sharp md33, the panasonic hje50 has a little less bass but not by a lot. i have to turn up the bass level on my iriver ihp-100 by a notch to have a similar bass level to attain the level of bass on the sharp md33.

mids:
the panasonic has lesser mid-range than the sharp md33. however, it still trumps the sony ex71, which has one of the most recessed vocals i've heard on a headphone. on the ex71, it is as if the singer forgot to switch on his mic and all the other instruments overwhelmed his voice! on the hje50, the vocal sounds just right, not too forward nor too recessed.

highs:
the highs is comparable to the sharp md33 here. like the sharp, the highs on the panasonic is clear and crisp. cymbals and hi hats sounds crystal clear, not like grinding sand sounds which i hear on some phones. the panasonic has more highs than the sharp md33. i had to turn down 2 notches of treble on my ihp-100 when listening to the hje50.

overall:
the hje50 is quite pleasant to listen to but it may be more fatiguing due to its foward presentation. it has a wider sound stage than the sharp md33. the panasonic also sounds more crunchy, which makes it suitable for rock music. electric guitars on distortion sounds more angst-filled. compared to the smoother-sounding sharp md33, listening to music on the hje50 is more 'involving' because of its more crunchy and forward sounding nature. however, this also makes the panasonic sounds less refined than the sharp canalphones. the panasonic hje50 also do not have the 'boxy' and 'plastic' sound that the unmodded sharp md33 has.

the panasonic does not sound sibilant to me, but bear in mind i also can't hear any sibilance on the sony ex71 too, so it might be different for you.

in term of efficiency, the hje50 goes pretty loud, losing out to the sharp md33 by a small notch, given the same volume.

overall, a value-for-money pair of canalphones to buy. recommended to those who are looking for a cheap and good pair of canalphones.
icon10.gif

so how would u rate them?? Sharp over panasonic or panasonic over sharp??

Dec 31, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nakedtoes
so how would u rate them?? Sharp over panasonic or panasonic over sharp??

sharp over panasonic. the panasonic does not have that 'refined' sound.

Jan 1, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 16
I have both and actually find that they sound quite the same.
Need to listen more to the Panasonic's though.

Mar 19, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #7 of 16
Hi, I have the HJE50 and the MX450 and IMO, I like the MX450 a little bit more. Although they don't stay in nearly as well and don't block out sound at all, the MX450 seems to provide more clarity all around. Although the HJE50 is not bad by any means.

Mar 20, 2005 at 3:21 AM Post #8 of 16
I couldnt find this earphones here in Canada
frown.gif

If someone here decided to buy a pair, please lend me a hand...

Mar 20, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 16
I'm no expert, but from the instructions linked off of here in various places you remove the casing and stuff some sort of soft foamy sort of stuff directly onto the noisemaking apparatus, which makes it less shrill and gives it a "fuller" sound, I believe. Seems very common hereabouts.

Mar 20, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rayzian
Looks like a straight knockoff of the EX71s

ya. but who really cares?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back