Panasonic RP-HJE50 Review/Comparison to EX71 (with pics!)
Apr 11, 2005 at 6:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 120

gshan

Headphoneus Supremus
Please note: I love EX's- I've owned ex70s, and now the 71s. They are very fun to listen to, and isolate just enough to drown out audible conversation completely, or at least into muffled mush (whatever that means, but u get the picture). On to my review...

The Packaging

11111packaging9jf.jpg

Nothing special here besides being able to see all the main goods. Please note that Panasonics also come with 3 sets of buds, S/M/L. They look identical to Sonys, but feel maybe 25% flimsier? (Oftentimes I can't even tell the difference, to tell you the truth.) If you hold both brands' buds up to the light, the Panasonics will be slightly see-thru (in a translucent kind of way - the blackness turns a little bright grey). Sonys are still black throughout when seen next to light. Btw I did swap buds with brands, which was very easy to do since they are identical in design. I didn't notice any sonic differences right away, and chose to do this review of the HJE50's with it's native buds, ignoring that factor.

33333morepackaging4ad.jpg

Back cover removed, revealing extension cord and a drawstring pouch. (A pouch is little better than EX71's included mini plastic box, but still not as useful as the also included driver housing with the EX71s:
casing9qf.jpg

It doesn't fit the RP-HJE50's =(.

Design and Construction

The Sony cords are smooth feeling, while running a finger along the Panasonic cords results in a lot of friction (it feels like rubbing the smooth side of an eraser). Both cords are a little stiff and bent at many places (due to packaging), but loosen up and straighten out after a few days of usage and hanging (I hang my earbuds up behind my door on little sticky hooks to keep them straight). Even though the Sony's are smooth to touch, they still tangle up just as easy as the Panasonics when stowed away in a pocket:

omgtangledarg9lb.jpg

Untangling on a bus or while walking down the street is teh suck.

shinyness0fx.jpg

The outer shell of the EX71 is rubbery and flexible. The HJE50 is solid plastic. Both are very lightweight and cause no irritiation. When wearing either, the only thing I feel is slight (and soft) pressure from the silicone in my ear. And good news, EX7x fans! - RP-HJE50's have a metallic piece in the outer casing that is just as shiny and cool* looking as the EX's! (*Please note that not everyone will think shiny earing-like headphones are cool looking, but I sure do.
biggrin.gif
)

sonyjoint3ci.jpg

A little joint comparison for ya'll. Sony's looks more flashy and maybe even more "expensive" looking depending on taste, however the HJE-Y looks more solidly built because it appears as if the three cords and centerpiece are melted into one. Who knows what's going on beneath the Sony silver hood =).

xxcomparebig0fy.jpg

Panasonic mini-plug on top, and a little bigger. The Panasonic extension cord is also 2.5" longer than the Sony one. The "short-length" between joint and mini plug is about the same length between both designs. Panasonic left-ear length is 2.5" longer than Sony's, and the right-ear (behind the neck) cord is 5" longer than Sony's. (The right-ear/neck cord sounds extremely long, but it hasn't bothered me one bit. It's probably because the cord is already pretty darn long.) Btw in the third picture to the far right, the Panasonic extension female end at top, Sony one bottom. All 4 male plugs are gold plated.

Whoosh I need a break, but the REVIEW MUST GO ON...must not let fellow head-fiers and GoofyFoot down...
eggosmile.gif

(drum roll) and now...The Sound

I tried to be as honest as possible with this Panasonic review/comparison with the Sony's. I purchased and auditioned the RP-HJE50s for about a week and a half, for a few hours a day minimum. Here's the gear I used:

Sony MDR-EX71SL ($45 USD paid)
Panasonic RP-HJE50 ($20 USD paid)
-and-
testing0fi.jpg

Along with the RCA mini splitter, I did tests on the flash player with songs by A>B-ing carefully selected song excerpts (whether it be vocal, heavy beats, instrumental, etc.). I will not list general conclusions till the end, but one warning first - BOTH the EX71 and RP-HJE50 have a slight static sound when plugged into my Chaintech AV710 and IRiver flash player during moments of silence in songs or during soft vocals/instrumentals. The EX71 static is so quiet that I can barely hear it when I'm in a quiet room, so naturally I did not even notice it until I did this comparison with the HJE's. The HJE static, however, is easily noticeable when in a quiet room, or listening to low volumes/soft music. Here's the good part: Use the Panasonics in an area with just a little bit of ambience (ex: in the street, on a bus) and you'll no longer notice the static. If you listen to heavy beated music, or rock/pop/dance, or simply some sort of continuously flowing sound (even classical works) you'll also not take notice to static.

alright already, talk about the sound!
-
First, I will tell you my impressions with specific songs (and the type of music they are associated with):

1. Revolution and Tekn - Do You Know (female vocal trance, breakbeat) [2xx kbps, VBR]
-Both have a lot of bass, and performed well for this genre. The Sony's bass was slightly muffled sounding compared to HJE's.
-The beat and vocals are clearly separate sounds with the Panasonics, while the EX's present vocals that are slightly veiled in sound, and slightly recessed. The beats and thumping are closer to front stage here on the Sony's. I keep using the term "slightly", because it really is slightly in my ears (and mind).
-Overall sound is slightly muffled on the EX71s. The vocals might sound better if not for the spotlight hogging bass.

2. Josh Groban - Mi Mancherai (male vocal, opera-ish) [192 kbps]
-The orchestral violin intro. brought out the shame of the Panasonics: you could clearly hear a little static hiss in the background. However, the Panasonics seemed to present a more full, clear, and natural sounding instrumental. I also found out that the RP-HJE50 present louder sound than the EX71s. I increased the volume by two notches when using the EX71's for a better comparison. Upping the volume on the Sony's definitely increased some overall detail in the music, but clarity was still not on par with Panasonic. Things just seem slightly veiled.

3. Josh Groban - Caruso (same stuff) [192 kbps]
-This is a fairly quiet song compared to the previous one because there is less constant music flowing. More obvious static and hiss from the Panasonics during quiet times.
-More notes taken that the Sony EX71 is quieter than the HJE's. Increasing volume helped with comparison once again.
-The high notes coming out of Josh on the Panasonics seem to go higher. There is a little more extension in vocals, and more impact on the high notes - Is this more natural sounding? - Depends on the listener I suppose. I'm not one to know how Josh sounds in person. (watched his concert on PBS, but don't remember too much about performance)

4. Boyz II Men - Thank You (R&B, fast a-cappella with beats) [2xx kbps, VBR]
-Sony vocals are noticeably veiled/muffled when in comparison. Bass is also less tight, and less controlled.

5. Sarah McLachlan - Adia (female vocal, alternative) [320kbps]
-This song was very hard to compare with. I A>B'd the same clip maybe 200 times. No kidding. I certainly have no golden ears, heh. There was no obvious recession in the vocals on the Sony's this time. It was very enjoyable on both earphones.
-Eventually I did find a slight difference though: On the Panasonics, Sarah's voice seemed to have a little more impact and slight extension, like in one of Josh's songs. It is not easily noticeably unless the vocals are monitored very closely.

6. Celine Dion & R. Kelly - Angel (female/male vocal) [320kbps]
-Celine's singing is very, very slightly veiled when the volume is cranked a little higher than normal listening level on the Sonys.
-The beats on both earphones sounded clean and tight, with the Sony's having a little more thump than the Panasonics.

Conclusion

The Panasonics are overall better sounding than the Sonys, based on my tests. Keep in mind all this was done with my own music, in my own formats, and listened off my own player. Things could sound a lot different with a another setup.

There is no way I can ever be called a Sony fanboy now. I officially love the Panasonic RP-HJE50s. For <$20 USD, they are definitely worth it. Why is there so much static noise? - I don't know, but I don't really care because I usually use these on the go and the ambience takes care of it nicely.

I'm not going to put my EX71s into a drawer. They are fun to listen with, and I will continue to use them. Mental and/or physical burn-in really works on them. They sound a lot better with time. The only problem now is to figure out how to share time between them and the HJE50's.

Got questions? - Let me know! And thanks for reading.

-gshan

Apr 11, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 120
Cool, thanks for the review. Here in Japan there are dozens of canalphones like the RP-HJE50/EX71/MD33, but I have no idea which ones are good. Where did you get your Panasonics?

Best,

-Jason

Apr 11, 2005 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Cool, thanks for the review. Here in Japan there are dozens of canalphones like the RP-HJE50/EX71/MD33, but I have no idea which ones are good. Where did you get your Panasonics?

Best,

-Jason

You're very welcome. I got them off Amazon.com a few weeks back.

Apr 11, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #5 of 120
Glad you like your Panasonic. I have the said same 2 phones and like you prefer the Pana over the Sony. The Sony boom may be a blessing to some, but to me it's omnipresence make the music a tad too muffled for my liking.

Apr 11, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #6 of 120
I have never noticed any static with my HJE50's. I will use them today and tomorrow and listen more closely for static, and come back with results.

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #10 of 120
I have the HJE50s. You've prob. seen me post this elsewhere but they def. need to be modded to sound right. I would recommend stuffing some not-so-dense foam in the tube to cut those shrieking highs down. The bass doesn't really suffer as long as you eq the lower 20hz freqs up a little on your portable source. These are blatently not audiophile phones but they cost next to nothing so making them sound fun is half the challenge.

My gripe is they don't seem to seal properly. I started with the little caps [size small] and progressed to the more accomidating mediums. They still did not suffice so I put on king-sized, magnum caps but those hurt my canals..[there's some kind of vague analogy here I don't seem to want to build on
rolleyes.gif
]. Does anyone else notice that they deliver deeper bass and clearer mids when you push them a bit but don't move your fingers away? If you apply moderate pressure upon the chrome bits, you will hear them much better..they seem to pull out themselves and really cut the isolation down. I tried wetting the capsules by spit, small quantities of chapstick/blistex, hand lotion, antiseptic evaporating stuff, etc. Obviously, I applied it on the outside so none of this gunks up the channel but it seems to be there's no perfect seal to be had with these. Either they plug too deeply and you can't hear much or they're too far out to really cut peoples voices out. What's the deal?

Does anyone have any fitting responces to this[harrr harr!!! pirate.]?

Apr 12, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zvio
I have the HJE50s. You've prob. seen me post this elsewhere but they def. need to be modded to sound right. I would recommend stuffing some not-so-dense foam in the tube to cut those shrieking highs down. The bass doesn't really suffer as long as you eq the lower 20hz freqs up a little on your portable source. These are blatently not audiophile phones but they cost next to nothing so making them sound fun is half the challenge.

My gripe is they don't seem to seal properly. I started with the little caps [size small] and progressed to the more accomidating mediums. They still did not suffice so I put on king-sized, magnum caps but those hurt my canals..[there's some kind of vague analogy here I don't seem to want to build on
rolleyes.gif
]. Does anyone else notice that they deliver deeper bass and clearer mids when you push them a bit but don't move your fingers away? If you apply moderate pressure upon the chrome bits, you will hear them much better..they seem to pull out themselves and really cut the isolation down. I tried wetting the capsules by spit, small quantities of chapstick/blistex, hand lotion, antiseptic evaporating stuff, etc. Obviously, I applied it on the outside so none of this gunks up the channel but it seems to be there's no perfect seal to be had with these. Either they plug too deeply and you can't hear much or they're too far out to really cut peoples voices out. What's the deal?

Does anyone have any fitting responces to this[harrr harr!!! pirate.]?

Hm, I've noticed that the high's are a little more than what I'm usually used to, but they're not really shrieking for me. It actually seems to put more impact (as noted in my review above) into the voice. People have spoken about the EXs having shrieking highs too, but I don't get any of that either. I guess my ears are not as sensitive? - or perhaps my iriver is more neutral in the high frequencies by default.

I feel that the Panasonic buds are a little crispier and less soft than the Sony ones. Maybe this makes them more prone to clipping and folding when inserted into the canal, instead of forming a tight circular seal? If you're plugging them really deeply and you hear very little sound, I think the buds you used were too large of a size for you. The edges of the buds must have bunched together from being forced into a canal too small for them and caused some blockage - iono just some guesses.

The Panasonic small size fit just right for me, much like their EX counterparts. I slide them in very casually, and they don't go anywhere and can't be pushed in any further. It's a little puzzling to me that you can't get proper seal with any of the 3 sizes. Have you had any successful experience with fitting EX's or MD33's?

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #12 of 120
now here's the question: has anyone run the panasonics VS the sharp md33-s? This is an important ocmparison to me because I am betting that the 49 dollar price tag and week long overseas shipping is not worth it in the end (the md33-s had shrieking highs for me as well until I modded them with a significant amount of cotton)

And: as for fit, the md33-s were both more comfortable and easier to fit than the true canal phones I tried at the Oregon meet.

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #13 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigabomber
now here's the question: has anyone run the panasonics VS the sharp md33-s? This is an important ocmparison to me because I am betting that the 49 dollar price tag and week long overseas shipping is not worth it in the end (the md33-s had shrieking highs for me as well until I modded them with a significant amount of cotton)

And: as for fit, the md33-s were both more comfortable and easier to fit than the true canal phones I tried at the Oregon meet.

Hm. I wonder if the shrieking a lot of people experience with these semi-canalphones (ex5/7, md33, hje50) can be neutralized to some degree with some experimentation with EQ? Gigabomber, my friend loves his Sharps too but also felt too much in the high end on his MD player and computer. Some messing around with the EQ on player/winamp seemed to hit the spot for him. It'll involve some comprimise though, as he had to adjust most of the other frequency bars to get balance.

I'm not really a big fan of EQing though. I heard from a member that the overall dropoffs in the frequencies take away too much from quality. Or maybe I'm just lazy.

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:10 AM Post #14 of 120
I was able to achieve a very good fit with my Panasonic using the medium sleeve. If I push it deeper into my ear, the apparent result is that sound just sort of becomes closer without any resultant improvement in sound. Perhaps over time when you get use to it, you might be able to achieve a better seal.

Apr 12, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #15 of 120
Is there any option for alternative sleeves? There are a bajillion for Ety and Shure IEMs, why not for our phones too?

If anyone has any other plugs, maybe try them on and see how the fit/sound?

Fanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back